1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S2 - root access without being rooted !?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by marcus33, Jan 8, 2014.

1. marcus33

marcus33 Member
    None

Jan 6, 2014
    Male
    Electrician (again!)
    Harrow (England)
    I am aware that there has already been a thread with a similar title but it's quite old now and not really relevant to this:

I'm getting ready to do an upgrade from Gingerbread to Jellybean using ODIN and I've installed Ultimate Backup Lite. I've backed up my contacts and everything else manually but UBLite seemed the easiest way to back up my messages and call logs.

When I went into 'Preferences' to change the default backup folder it let me get all the way back to the /mnt folder which I don't seem to able to get into with 'My Files' or anything else.

I thought that if my phone isn't rooted I shouldn't be able to see any of the folders in the /mnt folder except /sdcard.

What's going on with that then???

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    There's read access and write access. You can see some folders that you can't do anything in, except read files.

/mnt should be available to all users. Whether a particular item mounted there is depends on the rights of that item. Usually only external devices (like SD cards in Android - in Linux it could be a tape drive or external CD drive) are mounted there, and they're usually world-accessible.

marcus33 likes this.
  3. marcus33

marcus33 Member
    None

Jan 6, 2014
    Male
    Electrician (again!)
    Harrow (England)
    I suspected it was something like that but thanks for confirming; not too up on my Linux/Unix et al I'm ashamed to say!

Getting ready to do a manual firmware flash for the first time, on a phone at least, and I don't want any surprises! :eek:

Thanks again.