• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S2 - root access without being rooted !?!

I am aware that there has already been a thread with a similar title but it's quite old now and not really relevant to this:

I'm getting ready to do an upgrade from Gingerbread to Jellybean using ODIN and I've installed Ultimate Backup Lite. I've backed up my contacts and everything else manually but UBLite seemed the easiest way to back up my messages and call logs.

When I went into 'Preferences' to change the default backup folder it let me get all the way back to the /mnt folder which I don't seem to able to get into with 'My Files' or anything else.

I thought that if my phone isn't rooted I shouldn't be able to see any of the folders in the /mnt folder except /sdcard.

What's going on with that then???

There's read access and write access. You can see some folders that you can't do anything in, except read files.

/mnt should be available to all users. Whether a particular item mounted there is depends on the rights of that item. Usually only external devices (like SD cards in Android - in Linux it could be a tape drive or external CD drive) are mounted there, and they're usually world-accessible.

Reactions: marcus33
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones