• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S2 Screen Protector?

wtek

Lurker
Dec 5, 2011
I just got my S2 yesterday, I haven't activated it but wanted to make sure that I was going to commit to the switch from the Triumph and i definitely am! I was wondering if a screen protector was needed? And if so what is recommended? I saw a different post that said it had Gorilla Glass so is it still good to put on a screen protector?

i just use the screen protector that came with my otter box because i want to take care of this phone.

you should consider getting this. same one i have Amazon.com: OtterBox SAM4-R760X-20-E4OTR Commuter Series Hybrid Case for Samsung Galaxy S II R760 & Epic 4G Touch - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

pic of my phone with otter box and screen protector

IMG_20130215_164325_zps38db115c.jpg

Reactions: wtek
Upvote 0
Yes Gorilla glass can break. Trust me on that one. I recommend either Ghost Armor or Zagg screen protectors. They both use a wet apply process that gives a bubble/wrinkle free surface when it's done right. The Ghost armor people usually have a kiosk or cart in local malls and out it on for you. I had my Zagg screen protector put on by the good folks at Radio Shack. Both look great.

Reactions: wtek
Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback guys. I eventually ordered the zagg protector last night as I used them on a couple of other devices. I also ended up getting a silicone case from amazon (from a different thread) because I wanted to keep the phone as slim as light as possible and I'm ok with those cases as I use one on the triumph currently.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Actually you could have gotten 2 for $2.30 with the discount code and free shipping. :p
Actually you still could, can't beat the price and nothing wrong with having spares, I used to use Zagg when I had BB until I switched to Android 3 years ago, imho these are better than the Zagg which has a lot more orange peel texture, plus they're very "grippy" as you slide your fingers across the screen.
OB

Upvote 0
I used to always get a screen protector for my cell phones but for the S2, I opted not to because of how resistant Gorilla Glass is on the S2. I took a key and tried to scratch a corner of the screen really hard but could not make a scratch. I've had my phone for many months without a screen protector and it still looks pristine.

If you drop your phone or somehow crack your screen, a screen protector won't help with that. So, you can definitely do without one.

Upvote 0
I used to always get a screen protector for my cell phones but for the S2, I opted not to because of how resistant Gorilla Glass is on the S2. I took a key and tried to scratch a corner of the screen really hard but could not make a scratch. I've had my phone for many months without a screen protector and it still looks pristine.

If you drop your phone or somehow crack your screen, a screen protector won't help with that. So, you can definitely do without one.

I like the "privacy" aspect of my protector. That's the only reason ;)

Upvote 0
Keys are made from brass, not much of a test, try taking a piece of sandpaper to it if you're that confident, all it takes is a single grain of sand to ruin your day. I also find that the wet application type increases the resilience of the glass and helps prevent cracks when dropped. :p
OB

If you really want to scratch the phone, I'm sure there is a way. Heck, even with a screen protector, dents can still penetrate the screen. My point is that for all intents and purposes, if you're not careless with the phone, it's resilient enough the way it is without a screen protector. Heck, after 2 years, it'll probably be old that I won't want this phone anyway.

I generally try not put my phone in any place where there would be sandpaper-like texture applied in a constant friction to the screen. When it's in my pocket, I try not to keep it with my keys or anything metal. When I put it on a table-like surface, I'm not putting it on a bed of nails. I also don't have any sand in my pockets. For ladies, if they do throw their phone in a purse with other stuff... then perhaps a screen protector is a good investment.

I decided not to get a screen protector this time because I tend to believe that it distorts the clarity and sharpness of the display. I may be wrong but I also feel that it affects the sensitivity of the touchscreen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones