1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Support S2 SIM not working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DeanBaker, Dec 4, 2011.

1. DeanBaker

DeanBaker Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi All.

Ive found a Samsung Glaxy S2 (GT-I9100) and I can't seem to get my SIM working. I know your probably thinking I stole it but the honest truth is that I was out walking my dogs and stepped on the corner as it was laying in the mud. The phone was in a black rubber case and has no scratch marks and seems to be in full working order.

My problem is that my SIM does not work. When I found the phone it had a screen lock code so I found out how to hard reset it (holding volume, home and power buttons) and that seems to have worked. The phone boots and I get the home screen. In the notifications I get Emergency Calls Only when using a 3 or Orange SIM inserted. Has it been locked and is there anything I can do? Someone told me the IMEI has been blocked, any ideas how I can change it?

If its of any help when I go into "About Phone" heres what I got:
    Model number: GT-I9100
    Android Version: 2.3.3
    Baseband Version: I9100XXKE4
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKE7-CL215725 root@DELL103 #2
    Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XWKE7

The phone had no SIM or Memory Card so it looks like it was dumped, lucky me found it. I guess its pay back as about a month ago my iPhone was knicked from my car when getting petrol. I've looked where you mentioned and I can't see any reference to a carrier. I've rang T-mobile, 3, Orange, Vodafone and O2 and no one there could help me. All of them said count yourself lucky and keep it. Think thats what im going to do but its no good if I cant get a SIM working.

Any help is most appreciated.
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Blocking the IMEI of a phone that is lost/stolen is common practice, as it renders the handset largely useless (as you've found). There is nothing you can do about that, as attempting to tamper with the IMEI of the device is illegal.

At this point, your best bet on returning the device is to notify the police and give them the IMEI code in the hope the device has been reported lost.

If you have no luck returning the device (and kudos to you for even trying, some people wouldn't :) ), then I'm afraid it's only ever going to function as a WiFi-only device.

El Presidente likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    No judgement here. Heck I once found a purse full of cash with no ID at the place where I worked (a public venue, so it could have belonged to anyone.) Turned it in to security and called the police. After 30 days ... company policy ... it was unclaimed and the police said I could keep it, so i did. Anyway ...

If the phone is carrier locked and you put an unrecognized sim in it, you should be prompted for an unlock code. If you are not then two things are possible. The phone is unlocked already or your sim is on the same carrier that it is locked to. If it is the first case and the IMEI is not blocked on the network, it could be that you simply don't have the correct network and APN settings. You could contact your carrier for assistance with that. You could also find a couple of friends with sims from different carriers and try them to see if one network actually does work.

If the IMEI is blocked, then it has been reported lost or stolen by the owner and there should be some way to track that either through your carrier. I can understand a carrier not wanting to bother, since they've probably already got their money for the phone even if it's one of theirs. In the US anyway, the branded phones all have the carrier logo on them somewhere.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

4. DeanBaker

DeanBaker Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks for that lunatic59. Ive tried two different SIMS and both have the same result (no signal and emergency calls only), ill see if some has a different carrier I could try. The phone is unbranded, I cant find a logo anywhere and when it boots theres no carrier branding. So does that mean its an unlocked phone? I phoned the police as soon as I got home and their response was "to be honest we get so many found mobiles we cant trace them all, you bes keep it and try and get it working, think of it as an early christmas present". As i mentioned I had my phone stolen and im still paying for the contract so this would be a nice replacement. Ive tried my best to return it and thats all im doing, I cant do any more.

I know messing around with the IMEI number is illegal but ive read loads do it so is it possible and how do I do it?

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not surprised that the police weren't too helpful. It's really not their job to deal with property, anyway, unless it's evidence in the commission of a crime. Around here, even if your car gets stolen then don't actually look for it. They fill out a report and give you a copy fro your insurance. If it turns up, they notify you, but otherwise are disinterested.

It does sound like you have an unlocked phone there which means sadly that it is likely being blocked by the IMEI number. For whatever reason a person may want to attempt altering an IMEI number, it is illegal in many countries and as such, by site policy, we don't discuss it. Sorry. (even if I did know, which I don't).

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Like lunatic said, discussion of illegal activity is not allowed here on Android Forums. Changing an IMEI number will land you up to 5 years in prison if you're caught, so that's definitely not open for discussion here.

Since it's clear the phone is has been blocked and there's nothing that can be done, I think it's best we close this thread here.