1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S2 Unable to view photo previews on computer desktop on phone connection

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Captainspank, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Captainspank

Captainspank Lurker

Hi team,

Upgraded my SG S2 last week to Ice Cream and all in all it’s been pretty good.

One annoying thing I’ve noticed aside from certain app permissions having to be reset. Is on connecting the phone to my PC, I’m unable to view photo preview icons from the phone folder on my desktop unless I actually open them. This is both under MTP & PTP mode. I’ve changed the different view options in Windows 7 to no avail and tried on different PC’s too so it’s the phone that’s stoping this photo icon preview. Does anyone know a way around this?

I’m not looking to sync via Keis. Purely after a plug and play option like I had when on gingerbread as often on different computers. Even my old HTC Magic using Fryo could do this fine.

Cheers.

CS

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast

Might be a windows security update thing. Is it coincidence it happened at the same time. I can't see thumbnails either, but if I open one of them I can jump left and right to the next ones in Windows photo viewer? A work around perhaps.

3. Captainspank

Captainspank Lurker

Yes it opens via windows viewer, but then I have to cycle through all the photo's to find what I'm after, rather than viewing them all at once in the icon format. Not sure what they are trying to achieve in doing this moving away from the plug and play scenario. Have only tested on Windows 7 machines, but then I shouldn't be restricted to different OS's just to get around it if it is only on Windows 7 this happens.

4. Captainspank

Captainspank Lurker

Just an update this happens only on ICS released through Keis. Most of the modded ICS releases have addressed this issue giving you the plug play option to view images in icon view via Windows.

So looks like I'll have to root the phone to get around it and run a different ICS.

5. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

Mine always did this, even on Gingerbread (Stock Orange ROM). :(

6. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert

Don't need root to flash another IcS. Just search for latest and appropriate one and flash via Odin

7. Captainspank

Captainspank Lurker

8. eddieras

eddieras Well-Known Member

just found this thread after experiencing the same issue with Galaxy S3 - i hook phone up to computer and can't view photos via windows. is resinstaling another ICS the only way around this?

9. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert

You can try connecting the phone to the PC using mass storage mode. I believe you can view your pictures that way. Its only the MTP mode that don't give you picture previews (at least under stock ICS).

10. eddieras

thanks - how to get 'mass storage mode'? when i plug in phone and it shows either MTP or connect as camera PTP and neither give me preview in windows.
    is there another option somewhere?
    thanks!

11. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

menu>settings>more>usb utilities>connect storage to PC

12. eddieras

thanks- i don't see this as an option. i cannot find 'usb utilities'. i'm using sprint s3 - perhaps that's the issue - it's not an S2

13. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

What Android version are you running?

14. eddieras

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews