• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S2 Unable to view photo previews on computer desktop on phone connection

Hi team,

Upgraded my SG S2 last week to Ice Cream and all in all it’s been pretty good.

One annoying thing I’ve noticed aside from certain app permissions having to be reset. Is on connecting the phone to my PC, I’m unable to view photo preview icons from the phone folder on my desktop unless I actually open them. This is both under MTP & PTP mode. I’ve changed the different view options in Windows 7 to no avail and tried on different PC’s too so it’s the phone that’s stoping this photo icon preview. Does anyone know a way around this?

I’m not looking to sync via Keis. Purely after a plug and play option like I had when on gingerbread as often on different computers. Even my old HTC Magic using Fryo could do this fine.

Cheers.

CS

Yes it opens via windows viewer, but then I have to cycle through all the photo's to find what I'm after, rather than viewing them all at once in the icon format. Not sure what they are trying to achieve in doing this moving away from the plug and play scenario. Have only tested on Windows 7 machines, but then I shouldn't be restricted to different OS's just to get around it if it is only on Windows 7 this happens.

Upvote 0
Just an update this happens only on ICS released through Keis. Most of the modded ICS releases have addressed this issue giving you the plug play option to view images in icon view via Windows.

So looks like I'll have to root the phone to get around it and run a different ICS.

Don't need root to flash another IcS. Just search for latest and appropriate one and flash via Odin

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can try connecting the phone to the PC using mass storage mode. I believe you can view your pictures that way. Its only the MTP mode that don't give you picture previews (at least under stock ICS).

thanks - how to get 'mass storage mode'? when i plug in phone and it shows either MTP or connect as camera PTP and neither give me preview in windows.
is there another option somewhere?
thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones