• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S20 wired charging

rbd

Sep 24, 2013
Honolulu
Hi all,

I just bought an S20 FE 5G which came with the slow 15w charger, and I have already bought the Samsung 25w charger, so all good there. However, I've still got a boatload of leftover Aukey Qualcomm Quick Charge chargers (both 2.0 and 3.0) bought for other phones in our family, including a cigarette lighter unit for the car. Can I still use these with my S20 FE?

I understand that the S20 is designed for USB PD 3.0 charging (as opposed to Qualcomm QC), but the QC product support lists I've been able to find show that many Galaxy S* phones had support for QC 2.0 (but apparently not 3.0). I don't really care if the S20 will charge quickly or slowly using a Qualcomm charger, I just want to know if I can safely charge it without risking damage. I REALLY don't want to have to drag multiple cigarette lighter chargers around in our car!

Samsung's support chatbot of course says you should never charge the phone with anything other than a Samsung-made charger. A predictable response I suppose, but not very illuminating.

Thanks!

Thanks, Unforgiven. Are your old chargers Qualcomm Quick Charge?
Some are, I use a QC03 on my truck connected to a YEOTECH (sp?) wireless charger / phone mount and I get fast charging through that. I have found I need to mix and match charger blocks and cables as some don't work well together. Most of my cables are OEM or Anker.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Sorry to be a pest, but just to clarify -- have you used any QC chargers via a direct wired connection to the USB-C port on your S20, or only indirectly through wireless charging? I can imagine those two scenarios could be quite different.

Thanks!
I'll be honest I'll have to check. Like I said, was was mixing and matching charging blocks, cables, and when applicable, wireless chargers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones