• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S21/+/Ultra hands-on reviews

ironass

Extreme Android User
Aug 17, 2010
Cotswolds, England
With the imminent release of the Galaxy S21 models the first hands-on reviews and videos are coming out.

This hands-on review from GSMArena is pretty thorough on Galaxy S21 & S21 Ultra...

Samsung Galaxy S21 & S21 Ultra hands-on review

Whilst this video deals with the unboxing and camera for the S21 Ultra...

Have you got any reviews of the Galaxy S21 range to share?

Last edited:
SamMobile have given some early reviews of the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra...

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra hands-on: The best just got better

Also...

My early impressions of the Galaxy S21 Ultra after 24 hours of use

The good news for myself and most of the rest of the world, is that the above review is based on the global model, SM-G998B, with the Exynos 2100 chip which is clocked higher than the Snapdragon 888 chip and I was initially worried that this would impact on the battery life of the global model but this does not seem to be the case.

A bonus in light of the disparity in the Snapdragon 865 and Exynos 990 chips in the S20 range which gave a distinct edge on speed to Snapdragon, much to the chagrin of global users. Samsung really could not afford to let this happen again. The same thing applies to the camera which was less than perfect on the S20 Ultra.

Last edited:
Reactions: kate
Upvote 0
Another in-depth, 9 page, review from GSMArena...

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G review

"By the end of this review, we realized the good stuff far outweighs the bad, and most of what we didn't like could be fixed with an upcoming update."

GSMArena battery test Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Global, Exynos...

UzK9cP2l.png

GSMArena battery test Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, Global, Exynos...

RchzP2zl.png

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s20_ultra_5g-review-2074.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't remember what I had for breakfast. :) I have watched so many I lost track I guess. It's your thread and your post I duped. I'll rub it off or leave it as an example of an olbriar blunder. Your call my friend.
No problems @olbriar.

That test is so good it can bear a second post, IMHO. :D

Upvote 0
This Amazon Buyer review "So much promise and anticipation only to be let down, not without advancements at a cost" has an interesting perspective:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elec...998UZKEXAA/dp/B08P54F6HB?th=1#customerReviews

IMHO, only reason to upgrade from S20+/Ultra or Note 20 Ultra to S21 Ultra is for the 10x telephoto (if you feel you could really use it.) The glass, display and battery life improvements are relatively minor on the S21 Ultra over those previous three models. And you end up losing SD card slot and getting a bulkier and heavier phone (for some that's good as "big is better more flashier" - for the rest of us, not.)

If you read the reviews for the S21 Ultra on the Amazon listing page, the first most popular review really says a lot. Notice he doesn't go into camera details. As the bottom line is, unless you absolutely are starving for a 10X optical zoom, the S21 Ultra is a waste of money coming from the S20 Plus/Ultra. You'd be better off getting a Note 20 Ultra that has 5X optical zoom, SD card slot and big 6.9" screen rather than getting the S21 Ultra.

Some excerpts from the Amazon Review:

"I found myself missing the S20 Plus, and more the S10 Plus, even with the new upgrades. I've lost enthusiasm and confidence in Samsung. The S21 Ultra's weight and size is not for me, I found myself with hand fatigue and not really enjoying using the S21 Ultra. The Note 20 Plus is actually the better phone than the S21 Ultra if you want productivity and comfort."

"If you still own the S10 Plus, keep it, if you own the S20 Plus, keep it. The S21 Ultra, in my humble opinion is Samsung reducing itself to become the villain. It's harsh and it's my opinion."

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
This Amazon Buyer review "So much promise and anticipation only to be let down, not without advancements at a cost" has an interesting perspective:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elec...998UZKEXAA/dp/B08P54F6HB?th=1#customerReviews

IMHO, only reason to upgrade from S20+/Ultra or Note 20 Ultra to S21 Ultra is for the 10x telephoto (if you feel you could really use it.) The glass, display and battery life improvements are relatively minor on the S21 Ultra over those previous three models. And you end up losing SD card slot and getting a bulkier and heavier phone (for some that's good as "big is better more flashier" - for the rest of us, not.)

If you read the reviews for the S21 Ultra on the Amazon listing page, the first most popular review really says a lot. Notice he doesn't go into camera details. As the bottom line is, unless you absolutely are starving for a 10X optical zoom, the S21 Ultra is a waste of money coming from the S20 Plus/Ultra. You'd be better off getting a Note 20 Ultra that has 5X optical zoom, SD card slot and big 6.9" screen rather than getting the S21 Ultra.

Some excerpts from the Amazon Review:

"I found myself missing the S20 Plus, and more the S10 Plus, even with the new upgrades. I've lost enthusiasm and confidence in Samsung. The S21 Ultra's weight and size is not for me, I found myself with hand fatigue and not really enjoying using the S21 Ultra. The Note 20 Plus is actually the better phone than the S21 Ultra if you want productivity and comfort."

"If you still own the S10 Plus, keep it, if you own the S20 Plus, keep it. The S21 Ultra, in my humble opinion is Samsung reducing itself to become the villain. It's harsh and it's my opinion."
Interesting review of the Snapdragon U.S.A. country variant, 2 days after release and on the early shipping firmware.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones