• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Welcome to the forums! :)

Moved your question to where the most SGS3 users will see it.

Here's an overview I wrote for another Samsung phone, it may apply -

Extended storage phones, like your Note 2, connect using a Microsoft protocol called mass transport protocol, MTP, rather than the older USB mass storage protocol to get to the built-in storage. Linux and Macs lack native support for that, so with a Mac you could add it with Android File Transfer - that was developed by Google as a generic solution beginning back with Honeycomb.

Two problems. Over time, Samsung has and hasn't been dead on in following the MTP spec, so that's led to issues. Now that they seem ok (as far as I know today), Apple's latest OS X isn't happy with Android File Transfer with many devices. (AFT seems to work fine up through Snow Leopard.)

Keis is purpose-built by Samsung to provide full connectivity to Samsung phones.

If Keis gives you trouble with your setup, you might try some of the wireless solutions. AirDroid is easy, free and works very well, for example.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: strathy1972
Upvote 0

OP this may or may not work for you, many MAC users like myself still cannot get Android File Transfer to work

I use Kies opposite to the instuctions in the youtube video you want to be in MTP mode not PTP

once connected it will look like this

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 2.53.25 PM.png

click the folder next to either internal or external storage and you will get a window like this
Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 2.57.37 PM.png

now you can add files to any folder on the phone you like or vice versa

Reactions: strathy1972
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones