1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General S3 and the note

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Omar Days, May 4, 2012.

1. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2011
    So after seeing the unveiling of the s3, I've gotta say I was pretty underwhelmed and glad I have the note tbh. The design, I dunno, just a bit meh. I was expecting no bezel like everyone thought. The white note looks stunning compared to the s3. Just feel like they've gone backwards design wise. What's everyone else's views on it? Tempted to get one?

I can upgrade for free to the s3 when it comes out in the UK, but I'm contented tbh. I'll upgrade if and when the note 2 is released. I just hope this huge phone isn't a one off with Samsung and that they continue the line.

Advertisement

2. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Project Manager
    UK
    There is a lot being reported about the features but I see them as bit gimmick sad the edgeless screen isn't a feature. Will I buy to replace note...no.

3. Beards

Beards Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    I am almost certain it will not be a one-off.
    1. There's currently an expensive TV advert doing the rounds showing the Note in all it's glory.
    2. The next Tab 10.1" will have the Note's S-Pen.
    3. It's sold exceptionally well, a clear indication it has been accepted by the public.

4. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Journalist and publisher
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    It seems to me that Samsung has preserved the differentiation between the S3 and the Note quite well. It doesn't have the pen, the bigger screen, the extra screen resolution, the prospective Premium Sore apps, etc. Where the S3 scores is having more CPU and GPU power, and ICS and NFC out of the box, but none of this is a big deal for me. I did consider the HTC ONE X and if I had gone with that maybe would have been a bit frustrated now :)

Ian

5. Beards

Beards Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    To me the only area where HTC have it over Samsung is OTA.
    Where HTC use an excellent OTA for ALL updates, Samsung insist on pushing MAJOR updates (i.e. ICS) through Kies.
    1. It is inconvenient.
    2. It is buggered up more phones than I care to remember.

6. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Couldn't even connect my Note to Kies last time I tried, same applies to my Tab 7.7. Mac version btw. Maybe a reinstall is needed, but the few times it did work I was appalled by how clunky it was. So, when ICS finally comes to the Note officially, is my only update option via Kies? Eep. International version by the way.

Back to the Note v S3, I think the S3 would have been okay if it didn't have a physical button and two capacitive. Plus, I suppose pentile is a downer for the S3 given it's essentially their flagship, although I must say I have no issue at all with the pentile on the Note, even in comparison with the samoled+ on the 7.7. Pentile rightly got a bad name on previous devices, I've seen my friends have some ghastly pentile displays, but I've only got good things to say about the Note's screen.

One sort of downer with the Note is that, no matter how good other phones that appear are, I'm totally accustomed to having a massive screen now, smaller sizes just won't cut it with me from now on (although I could live wiht 4.8 I suppose).

7. Beards

Beards Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    Yes, I am afraid to say it will matter jot what type of Note you have.... Any ICS upgrade requires a PC.
    If you do it the official way from Samsung you have to use Kies.
    If you do it the unofficial way you then have to use Odin.

Again, HTC and to name another ASUS don't trouble you with this. They allow you to complete any upgrade using OTA only.

8. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Hmm, that's a pity, although I've got a gaming rig that I can briefly soil with Kies to do the update when it arrives. Cheers for the info.

Regarding Kies, the mac version puts something in startup called Kies wifi agent. I have to force quit it every time I reboot (thankfully rarely) otherwise it takes up ridiculous cpu time and the my macbook air's fans spin up constantly. A while back, it took me hours to isolate the issue as my mba's battery was being utterly caned due to the cpu usage and fans. Tried connecting my Samsung to my mac immediately after a reboot, while the agent is running, but alas it still won't connect. Weird, it did work a while ago - annoying thing about the Tab 7.7 is that you can't easily put it into usb mode, which you thankfully can with the Note.

9. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

I'm hoping the AT&T version will do ICS OTA. I don't feel like dealing with Kies.

10. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Journalist and publisher
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Apparently my old HTC Desire had a pentile AMOLED display (it was an early one and did not have the later SLCD) and I have to say I thought - and still think - it's a great display, even with tiny text. I have absolutely no problem with the Note's display, too. We have two other handsets in the house with AMOLED displays (and to think of it, a couple of cameras too) - if one has possible weakness in its display it's a Nokia Lumia 800, but that may simply be that its browser zoom is not as responsive as others. I have no problems with legibility.

Ian

11. PJ147

PJ147 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Sales
    Hampshire, UK
    I got the note as couldn't be bothered to wait for the s3. Got to say I think for me I made the right choice. My colleague has the one x and I wasn't that impressed.....

12. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Lack of SD card slot on the One X kills it for me. Acceptable if there's a 64gb option, but there isn't.

Plus, coming from a iPhone, I'm totally sold to removable batteries again, it's great having a spare fully charged battery in my wallet. Means I can use the Note with zero concern for battery life. I'm a very heavy user you see, and am often away from mains at work all day long.

13. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2011

Yeah I used a friends one x the other day, and for a quad core phone I can't believe I noticed jerkiness similar to my desire hd. I love the smoothness on Samsung's.

While originally saying I wasn't impressed with the s3, I've seen more photos of it, and I actually like it a bit more. But I think smart phones have plateaued a bit. Can't really see what more we can do on them. Maybe in 4 years time with big technological advances or something they'll have new features in these phones. While I absolutely love my note, I'm not doing anything different on it than I did with my desire hd apart from it being faster

14. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Heh, I'm the same albeit coming from an iPhone 4. The latter has a bigger range of apps, but I realised a while ago that everything I do on my phone revolves purely around reading (browsing, rss feeds, ebooks, occasionally comics), watching video and listening to audio (notably no gaming due to battery life concerns) for which the Note is infinitely better at due to the screen. I won't pretend otherwise, I'm a big iOS fan, but a 3.5" screen just cannot compete with a 5.3" screen for the stuff I use it for.

15. djdosage

djdosage Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    if only they would add a led indicator light... i miss it from my motorola... different colors for different alerts (sms, mms, facebook, email)