• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S3 - Android 4.0.4 - Email Problems (Exchange Account)

Hi Guys,

Have just bought my new S3 which I love apart from a small issue, I run an Exchange 2010 server and when I access the email from the stock S3 email client some of the email dont show, I get the email, can see the sender and the subject line but the body is blank, its just a white screen, if I delete the account from the phone and then re-add it the emails are then viewable but any new ones that come in are not....

IS this a known bug or something as it seams a little poor if other people are having this issue....

I have also posted it on my blog to try and get some help as what good is an email client if you cant read the email.

Just so you know this applies to plain text as well as html emails.

To make sure it wasn't any server settings I tried Touchdown and that worked fine proving it wasn't my server, I don't want to keep touchdown though as the contacts side of it is very poor I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards John Tankard

My blog post is here... Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android 4.0.4 - Exchange 2010 Stock Email Problems | John Tankard's Web Blog

Upvote 0
The issue seems to be the font and background colours. If you go into one of the "blank" emails and change the font or background colours by selecting the menu button, you may find the email magically appears.

It all seems to depend on the format of the original sent email and you may then find other emails need to font setting back to read. However, it at least lets you read the info. Needs fixing tho.:)

Upvote 0
The approach of changing font and background colours when viewing a mail was the way I got around the problem. Until, that is, the OTA update a couple of days ago. Now those two menu options have vanished :thinking:

So, a bit of rummaging later and I find background options in the Power Saving section of system settings. Not very convenient for changing back and forth. Also, it seems to have got confused. In power saving mode it displays everything as black text on white. With power saving off most emails are white text on black except those that are white on white. Is this normal? It seems the wrong way round to me. Almost like it is not setting an absolute state but toggling - in this case from my already customised light text on dark.

I've done a fair bit of hunting and not even found mention of this elsewhere. Gnrrrr.

Reactions: dawnbks
Upvote 0
I have been using stock S3 since day 1 and have had no Exchange problems. And the only thing I see is a link to a blog with not to much info. Exchange 2010. I see a lot of people trying to use Exchange with a none Exchange email account. If you use outlook on your desktop PC that is not Exchange. Exchange Server is a in house server that handles email. Like yahoo handles email. Outlook is the client you use to view your email.

Upvote 0
You might need to talk to your Exchange Administrator to make sure your account is setup right. Also if some of the user give me more details in this thread I will be more then happy to help you. If I can.... I have not seen any posted info from Samsung about the S3 not working with Exchange. I'm not saying it's not out I just have not seen it.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,
I have a different problem with EXCHANGE ACCOUNT EMAILs.
I set everything all right. Then I realised the sub-directories inside the main account are going to be download when I open them. So no problem I click and they are coming. But the SENT items were just stopped to synchronise after 4332 emails.
Then it shows "unable to connect to the server" which is not exactly true becasue all other folders are working well like INCOMING mails and SPAM and others also.
So now I think I have to DELETE my EXCHANGE ACCOUNT and open it again.
So I think this part in the EXCHANGE EMAIL is not 100%.
Please help me how can I erase the account only on the S3 and not erase all my emails on the server.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,
I have a different problem with EXCHANGE ACCOUNT EMAILs.
I set everything all right. Then I realised the sub-directories inside the main account are going to be download when I open them. So no problem I click and they are coming. But the SENT items were just stopped to synchronise after 4332 emails.
Then it shows "unable to connect to the server" which is not exactly true becasue all other folders are working well like INCOMING mails and SPAM and others also.
So now I think I have to DELETE my EXCHANGE ACCOUNT and open it again.
So I think this part in the EXCHANGE EMAIL is not 100%.
Please help me how can I erase the account only on the S3 and not erase all my emails on the server.
Thanks
menu-settings-Accounts Sync
All mail always stays on server. The exchange server is the mail host it holds the mail and lets the phone or whatever device view it.

Upvote 0
There is a simple fix for this issue. Jelly bean has more power saving options than previous versions. One if the power saving options is to change email background to white. To uncheck this option, go to settings -> power and uncheck the background option. That should fix it! I really don't understand why they have this option checked by default. It is ridiculous in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Device(s):Thanks: 0Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts*yes, you canThere is a simple fix for this issue. Jelly bean has more power saving options than previous versions. One if the power saving options is to change email background to white. To uncheck this option, go to settings -> power and uncheck the background option. That should fix it! I really don't understand why they have this option checked by default. It is ridiculous in my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones