1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General S3 camera - video looks slower

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Shambles07, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Shambles07

Shambles07 Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2013
    Hi! I've been pretty impressed with the S3's camera. It shoots great videos with fantastic clarity.

But when I shoot a video of a speeding train, the train's speed on the video just doesn't look realistic at all. When I play it back, the train looks slower than it actually is. When I put that video on to my Apple IPod, the train looks faster. Why is this? I shoot with maximum settings i.e, 1920x1080p in superfine quality. Should I try lowering the resolution?

Advertisement

2. x7moodx

x7moodx Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2013
    Male
    Student + Programmer
    Aden , YE
    no I guess you are having too many programs running in the background which affects the cell phone

3. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    Probably (to lower resolutlon helping).

The issue is most likely a result of interlacing in HD. There's an awesome article about this on el Reg that explains everything you ever wanted to know about interlacing in video / HD / 4K etc.

Essentially, the problem is that video is actually shot at 24 frames per second then, to make your brain think it is seeing it at 48 frames per second, each frame is shown twice - or rather, half of each frame is shown: the frame is split into lines and alternate lines are shown in the first 1/48 with the remainder in the second 1/48th.

This was done way back in the eary days of talkies when it was found that playing audio at 24fps distorted the sound so they decided to double the speed to fix this, however they didn't want to use twice as much film, so they simply shot at 24fps and showed the same frame twice. This cludge then made it's way into TV and video.

The problem comes with faster moving objects where the eye expects the object to have moved by the time the second half of the frame is shown .. only it hasn't. The higher the resolution, the faster the object is moving, the more obvious this problem becomes. Modern TVs attempt to fix this with software, artificially 'moving' parts of the frame that appear to be in motion.

My guess is the reason the iPhone looks different is either simly that the screen is smaller or that the s/w works slightly differently and 'moves' the object more quickly than S3 does.