1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S3 Decrypt problem: MUST I update the OS?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JulianFR, Oct 12, 2014.

1. JulianFR

JulianFR Lurker

I have just started to use a spare brand new boxed S3 as my work phone. (My previous work S3, which I've used for 18 months, was getting very slow and was malfunctioning, ie phone calls not hanging up... it hasn't been right since updating to the latest Android OS).
    Anyway, as the new phone is for my work I had to encrypt it to meet company policy. THEN I realised (duh) that the phone still has the original OS (4.04) and maybe I ought to do a software update. But the auto-update didn't work... said I had to decrypt the device first... and the Decrypt option is greyed out. My work IT people said I would need to do a factory re-set, which I would rather not do (something always go wrong and life's too short).
    So, my question is this... is there any real issue with me staying with the old/original 4.04 OS permanently? Or will there be problems with the device if I don't have the latest version... if only with using apps?
    As I mentioned, in my previous S3 the software update was a nightmare so I wouldn't be that sorry to stick with v4.04 !
    Thanks Julian
    (PS... Apologies if I have posted this question twice by accident).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Hi JulianFR welcome to the forums.

You'll probably have to reset the device if it's already encrypted. If you stick with the older OS you might run into some app compatibility issues here and there, like you can't install a certain app, or an update. Also there is the risk of security issues since it's missing so many updates. But otherwise it should work fine. Some people are still using phones that will never get anything newer than 4.0.4.

3. JulianFR

JulianFR Lurker

Thanks Mydian. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and wipe the S3 and start again.
    Appreciate.your advice.
    Julian

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews