• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S3 Email client and IMAP.

jeproject

Lurker
Jul 20, 2013
Hello,

For a while I have been using a Gmail account with the Android Gmail app. however I have now decided to split up my online services where I can.

I've noticed something using the Samsung stock email app whether used with Gmail or Fastmail.

If I read a message on my PC or other device the phone application still shows it as unread until I go into the message on the phone. This means that the LED on my phone still flashes and my status bar and email app icon show an unread email.

This is really the only reason I use IMAP tbh. I don't want to have to 'read' the email on every device I have. None of the reviews I've read on the other email apps mentions this problem and I can't find any settings for the Samsung app to change this.

Many users mistakenly believe that IMAP email can do push email by using the IMAP_IDLE command. It cannot. The IMAP_IDLE command, which I do *not* recommend using, is not *true* push email. IMAP actually is not capable of true push email or instant notifications. For more info lookup IMAP in Wikipedia or read this easy to understand explanation courtesy of the Enhanced Email FAQs:

http://quantumsolutions.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=154

Reactions: jeproject
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Crashdamage, that was very interesting although a little disappointing to find out.

You say you don't recommend IMAP_IDLE but there doesn't seem to really be a viable option. Does even the Gmail app work in this method or is that true push?

Maybe some clients have an IMAP_IDLE only when on WIFI option? I have unlimited data on the Three network however I don't want to be draining my battery when I'm not at home. I only need this functionality when I'm at my PC and my phone is in its cradle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones