1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S3 fails to connect to PC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bernkastel, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Male
    Australia
    Hi,

My Samsung Galaxy S3 fails to connect to my PC at times. I've tried using the official Kies software and without. It fails on both instances. I usually get a Windows error (as below) when I connect the phone to the PC. I have tried the Kies "Troubleshoot connection error" option but I've had no luck in fixing it.

The times this occurs seems random. At times, it will connect fine without any issues. Sometimes it fails to work and the error above is produced.

I wonder whether it's the cable. However, as charging works fine, I'm not too sure about what exactly the cause is.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    You're right that it is most probably the cable - just coz it charges doesn't mean it works for data connections, unfortunately. Try another cable (you can pick them up for a couple of bucks on ebay, though the quality can be a iffy).

Bernkastel likes this.
  3. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  4. nigsy

nigsy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Oracle Consultant
    Devon
  5. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    I won't disagree. I just yet in 20 year of working with computers and external devices to experience once, a cable problem. Most of my stock cables go through multiple devices. My S2's cable was used for my S3, note2 and now s4, while the remaining original one, are unpacked in their respective boxes.

6. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    My old phone the charging port was bad and it would cause this to happen. For awhile it would still charge the phone, but no data connectivity.

7. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Male
    Australia
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'll try AirDroid as well as getting a new cable then. Reinstalling drivers did not seem to permanently resolve the issue.

Edit: AirDroid is impressive :D Although it does work off wifi / mobile data :/

Also, does anyone know whether the region / system locale of your PC affects the connectivity and drivers? I thought that maybe it might have, but it seems that putting my system locale back to English didn't fix the issue permanently, and it was just one of those random times when the connection worked.

EDIT 2: I ordered a new cable and it finally arrived. It seems to be working fine. So it seems like the cable before was the issue. Thanks everyone.