1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S3 Freezing at Lock Screen, help?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Stry, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Stry

Stry Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2013
    Recently, when I go to the lock screen after the phone has been inactive for a while:

1. The lock screen becomes unresponsive as soon as I try to swipe. The sound will play and the water-rippling animation will play a couple times and then the whole screen goes unresponsive and will not fade out. The clock also does not progress, and waiting any amount of time does not have any result.

2. The black bar on the top of the screen does not show anything, including battery, clock, or widgets/apps that are active.

It also froze up at least once when I was playing Pokemon Firered on a Game Boy Advance emulator, I think when it was trying to transition from landscape to portrait display.

The only way to get the phone to work again is to either force it to turn off and back on via holding the power button or removing the battery.

Please help me out here? I've heard that I might have to do a factory reset, but I'm wondering if there is a simpler solution.

Thank you.

Update:

It seems like Dummy File Generator only made the situation worse, though I might not have been using it correctly.

It doesn't freeze at the lock screen anymore that I have seen, only assuming that I have my Wifi turned off and probably assuming I don't have any apps running.

If I run any app for too long (this happened with Internet and My Boy! Free GBA Emulator), the app will freeze and I will get an error that the app is not responding, with options to close or wait for the app to do something. If I try to close the app, the screen goes black and eventually I get another similar error indicating that TouchWiz or UI is not responding. I didn't think either of those were good things to close, so I manually powered off and on to restart the phone instead.

Advertisement

2. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Hard to say whether it's an app problem or eMMC's sectors error. Is it white 16GB model with the eMMC: VTU00M FW Rev: 0xF1 chip? If so, you could be heading for Sudden death Syndrome, related specifically to that chip model, and will result in bricking the phone eventually.

You may want to try Dummy File Generator, see if it can fix the freezing.
    I explained that a another thread:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...eryday-factory-reset-already.html#post6050805

3. Stry

Stry Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2013
    The phone is not a white model, it's blue, so I guess I can worry a little less about getting bricked... but I never really suspected it would stop working entirely.

Thanks though, I will try Dummy File Generator

4. Stry

Stry Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2013
    An update, I used the Brickbug Check app and it says:

eMMC chip
    Type: MAG4FB
    FwRev: 0xf7

Brick Bug?
    No, sane chip.

Tried dummy file generator. Froze a few times, deleted some of the created files twice, but had to manually restart for some freezes that wouldn't go away. I don't know if it did anything beneficial yet.

5. Stry

Stry Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2013
    Update:

It seems like Dummy File Generator only made the situation worse, though I might not have been using it correctly.

It doesn't freeze at the lock screen anymore that I have seen, only assuming that I have my Wifi turned off and probably assuming I don't have any apps running.

If I run any app for too long (this happened with Internet and My Boy! Free GBA Emulator), the app will freeze and I will get an error that the app is not responding, with options to close or wait for the app to do something. If I try to close the app, the screen goes black and eventually I get another similar error indicating that TouchWiz or UI is not responding. I didn't think either of those were good things to close, so I manually powered off and on to restart the phone instead.