• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S3. Is your spot metering broken too?

Mine does not, and it does not work in CM10 Stable either, but the center weighted with auto focus works better than with the samsung stock camera, fwiw. I don't know that it ever worked.

And for the number of people that are likely to notice this fault, good luck getting it fixed by Samsung. Your best bet is to beg a dev on XDA to look into it I imagine.
I've seen some pretty glaring faults in hardware that didn't impede them selling like the proverbial hotcakes, and this one isn't exactly glairing unless one knows what to look for. If it is a deal breaker, move on to the next toy. Sucks but hey.
Personally I'd trade the ungodly shutter lag and other faults of my poor ole Evo4G for this camera other attributes and loose the spot metering in a heartbeat. And I did.

It's what you said at the end that hit me the most.

I did exactly that. Had a Nexus 4 sale lined up but realized honestly, with the good camera in general, SD card, removable (and up-gradable) battery, bigger screen, and some of the nice proprietary Samsung touches, it's not worth it.

I wonder if the Note II has the same issue. That's what I have my eyes set on now.

Upvote 0
It's what you said at the end that hit me the most.

I did exactly that. Had a Nexus 4 sale lined up but realized honestly, with the good camera in general, SD card, removable (and up-gradable) battery, bigger screen, and some of the nice proprietary Samsung touches, it's not worth it.

I wonder if the Note II has the same issue. That's what I have my eyes set on now.

Good question about the Note II, or the GS4 that is due out soon.
I tend to stick with a given device awhile, while that camera lag with the Evo was my only real complain, it was a real pain in the rear, but I stuck with it for almost the full two years. The GS3 isn't perfect, at all, but it's a big step in the right direction. These things just cost too much off contract to swap em around for me unless it's with old one's. The only thing I'd consider even then is a Nexus 4, and it has some downs, just like you noted. Who knows, maybe it will get fixed eventually.

Upvote 0
Only way I got to "manually" control the metering was to disable burst shot so I can half press the shutter button by holding it. Spot meter still not working but at least I can now adjust the focus and metering by placing my subject in the centre, "half pressing" and adjusting the composition before releasing the shutter.

Don't know about you but that's new to me: half-press on S3 = press, hold, release the buttono on the screen (with burst shot disabled)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones