• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S3 Likelihood??

Tasty, if sammy are going to release a new flagship phone every 6-8 months, then I might just wait for what comes after the S3, (S4?)

true, true, I see your point. I decided that I'm just going to go for the GSII - not too fussed about a metal back and qHD AMOLED (or something similar...) I think i'll wait for the 2nd gen for that. 1st generations always have some form of teeting problems...

Reactions: stbutt
Upvote 0
So youre gettig an S2 with first gen dual core cpu and first gen super amoled plus screen???

I was referring to the 1st generation qHD -AMOLED, not 1st gen things in general. my reason being Samsung are going to be manufacturing them in a different way, and hence that could cause problems - not to mention it'll take time for android apps to be scaled up/updated to qHD resolution.

AND

Samsung and renowned for their panel/display expertise and they've been through:
OLED->AMOLED->Super AMOLED-> and now to Super AMOLED Plus. Hardly 1st generation.

Upvote 0
Yeah but qhd will just be the same screen with a slightly higher res.

I know but it's brand new, as in they're just coming into the market and the combination is still at least half a year away.

But my main reason I due to apps. it'll be long before many apps upgrade their resolutions to fit qHD without stretching or black bars around the side - at least i think that's what would happen.

Upvote 0
SGS3 is likely just Hercules, which doesn't trump the SGS2 spec-wise except for a bigger 4.5" screen. Basically what the Infuse should have been.

I guess you missed the probable 1.8ghz dualcore on the second link then. Would be nice.

I have to wait at least 10 months till I can upgrade anyway, so an S3 would be nice, but I could always wait a few months for the next gen, bring on the dreams of what that spec will be :)

Upvote 0
Haha! But the general speculation is that the release is basically only to compete with the iPhone. Ahh well, cba to wait for that!

It has iphone 4 in its back pocket already. i guess they wanted to beat the other new dual core phones out there in the first plce. seeing as the sensation eas supposed to be itz main rival and the s2 beats it quite comprehensively theyve really done a great job. i love it. and will also be upset if they release a better s3 this year. but hey, thats life :)

Upvote 0
I guess you missed the probable 1.8ghz dualcore on the second link then. Would be nice.

I have to wait at least 10 months till I can upgrade anyway, so an S3 would be nice, but I could always wait a few months for the next gen, bring on the dreams of what that spec will be :)

That doesn't exactly have any source to back it up besides Eldar Murtazin, who is shady at best beyond A few Nokia rumors. I'm not sure they even got the specs from him. The leaked T-mo roadmap with the Hercules says it has a 1.2GHz APQ8060 and Adreno 220, hardly SGS2 shattering specs. I think it would be dumb to release an SGS3 literally three months after releasing the SGS2 (in the US that is).

Upvote 0
It has iphone 4 in its back pocket already. i guess they wanted to beat the other new dual core phones out there in the first plce. seeing as the sensation eas supposed to be itz main rival and the s2 beats it quite comprehensively theyve really done a great job. i love it. and will also be upset if they release a better s3 this year. but hey, thats life :)

I know. Although if it has a qHD screen (which is most likely) then I'll be glad - because the apps still won't have qHD support - however it will increase the pressure on developers to update their apps to qHD. SO BY THIS TIME next, year hopefully when the next HTC flagship/S4/LG-something comes out, most apps will support qHD.

There's also the above reason.
I really hope they don't do a 'HTC' are release loads of flagship/epic phones and just make it impossible to choose, due to the small variation of specs.

Upvote 0
Yup, granted, its all speculation, so we will just have to wait and see. But if samsung can and will release a new flagship phone every 6-8 months, then they must have some jiggy tech tricks up their sleeves.

I wonder how long it will be before we see the likes of USB 3, bluetooth 3, NFC and such as the new standards both on phones and pc's ;)

Personally, I'm not sure how long samsung could keep up such a release calender, tech only moves so fast and lets face it, smart phones are pretty up to date as it is, now with dual-core cpu's at silly speeds (for a phone)

The main question is going to be, imo, battery technology. Logic dictates that to run a smart phone with faster cpu's, and bigger and better screens, batteries will be put under more and more demand. However with a tablet, its big enough to easily accommodate a larger battery, so, are tablets the way forward if you want half decent barry life from your mobile device?

Upvote 0
SGS3 is likely just Hercules, which doesn't trump the SGS2 spec-wise except for a bigger 4.5" screen. Basically what the Infuse should have been.

Yes, because the measly 1.2GHz processors on our phones are really sloooow aren't they ;).

as lotus said, dual 1.2Ghz is crazy fast for a cellphone as is. CPU's no longer need to be pumped up. it's the software and OS that needs improving upon for more dual-core support. that's now what's hindering devices speed-wise.

oh also, no thanks to a 4.5" screen. 4.3" has always been pushing it for me. 4" screen will always remain the sweet spot for me personally. i'd never own a 4.5" phone, i don't care who made it, what it was running, or what the internal components were

edit: fixed my original post. was confused for a sec. don't buy into the hype of rumors, guys - in reference to the links posted. the "Hercules" will be very comparable to the SGS2 in regards to CPU because Qualcomm will finally have an ARM Cortex A9 CPU in phones. this is the chip i knew was coming towards the end of the year for a while now. that's the only difference, though. GPU in Exynos will still win out over this SoC (APQ8060)

Upvote 0
Honestly, if you wait for the "Newest and Best" you're going to wait forever. By the time the S3 comes out there will be rumors stirring about the S4. You can always just wait and save up for the S5. Until then I'll be enjoying my S2.

it's funny because this same discussion is brought up in every high end device thread i've ever posted in :p

Upvote 0
Im not after the fastest or best phone, but I've been following the galaxy S, S2 for a while, and with the news that the S3 will most likely be out in several months, and i still have at least 10 months to wait, then ill just get the best I can at the time, for my budget and situation, and if it looks like the S4 will be worth waiting for, if its not too long to wait, then i'll do it, otherwise ill settle for the S3 unless something better comes along.*

*(unlikely though)

Upvote 0
edit: fixed my original post. was confused for a sec. don't buy into the hype of rumors, guys - in reference to the links posted. the "Hercules" will be very comparable to the SGS2 in regards to CPU because Qualcomm will finally have an ARM Cortex A9 CPU in phones. this is the chip i knew was coming towards the end of the year for a while now. that's the only difference, though. GPU in Exynos will still win out over this SoC (APQ8060)

Ummm - what? I don't think I really followed you there. :thinking:

The APQ8060 has the same cpu/gpu cores as the MSM8x60 (8660/8260) - only real difference is the 8060 is stripped of cell phone radio control and intended for wifi tablets. They're all 8x60 family.

Link here, also download product brief on right side of this page: Mobile Processors | Snapdragon | Qualcomm

Their next outing as a step up will be the APQ8064 quad-core - also not committed yet in a form suitable for cell phones yet.

Snapdragons are not ARM cores - they use an ARM instruction set under license.

Where have you heard that Qualcomm is abandoning the Scorpion in favor the ARM Cortex A9?

They're telling people the next upgrade is designed to compete with the A15.

Qualcomm Leaks Details of Next Generation Snapdragon Processors

Upvote 0
What they'll probably do is release the s3 in the US this fall. They can stagger generational releases between markets and make more marginal changes. Besides, at this point they only need to beat the iPhone in the US market.

Personally I think that's a bit stupid, seeing as the S2s is coming out in the US, late enough into the year as it is!

But suppose the heads of Samsung know more than me about the market and whatnot!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones