• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S3 microphone not working...but I made a discovery...help?

rotobadger

Jul 10, 2012
Today, the mic on my Galaxy S3 decided to stop working. People call me and I can hear them but they can't hear me. Tested the mic with the voice recorder and, if I yell, you can BARELY hear my voice (kind of muffly and scratchy). Tried rebooting, turning off noise reduction, etc. No help.

Here's the weird thing: When I tap the phone body or scratch the mic with my fingernail, THAT sound comes through loud and clear! The V/U on the voice recorder pegs out when I tap the mic with my finger. Voice doesn't register though! I listen back and the tapping/scratching sounds crystal clear and loud.

I've got to get this fixed asap. Any ideas???

Today, the mic on my Galaxy S3 decided to stop working. People call me and I can hear them but they can't hear me. Tested the mic with the voice recorder and, if I yell, you can BARELY hear my voice (kind of muffly and scratchy). Tried rebooting, turning off noise reduction, etc. No help.

Here's the weird thing: When I tap the phone body or scratch the mic with my fingernail, THAT sound comes through loud and clear! The V/U on the voice recorder pegs out when I tap the mic with my finger. Voice doesn't register though! I listen back and the tapping/scratching sounds crystal clear and loud.

How did you fix this i am having the exact same problem?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy 3. When I make a call I can hear the person but the person can't hear me, My voice recorder and my voice search does not pick up my voice. I sent the phone back to Samsung to have it fixed, they supposedly fixed it and sent it back to me. It worked for a bit and now it is doing the same thing it was doing before I sent it to Samsung to be fixed. I called Samsung and they were acting like they couldn't give me an answer as to why my microphone is still not working. I will now have to send it in for the second time, which I feel I shouldn't have to do because it should have been fixed the first time.

I will say that I ordered my phone online from T-Mobile and was thinking that the phones that are ordered online are the ones with the microphone problems. Let me know what you think!

Thanks

Upvote 0
Habe the same problem but.... it picks up my voice on video, and sometimes sound recorder. But it doesn't work on s voice or calls... it started last week when I got my smashed screen replaced but im not sure that is the cause of the problem. I don't know if it's a virus or what??? Can someone help? Oh and it sometimes but rarely works when I put it on speaker and extra volume. o_O

Upvote 0
Habe the same problem but.... it picks up my voice on video, and sometimes sound recorder. But it doesn't work on s voice or calls... it started last week when I got my smashed screen replaced but im not sure that is the cause of the problem. I don't know if it's a virus or what??? Can someone help?
The S3 has 2 microphones... One at the top for video recordings and one at the bottom for call / recording.

If you received your phone back from the techs with this issue it could be that the rubber mic grommet fell out of place... Or something is plugging the mic hole.

On the other hand, if it happened after the repair it could be a clogged mic / case hole.... Or the mic went bad.... Yes, the mic can go bad.

Upvote 0

my 2 cents: I cleaned out the mic hole at the bottom with a pin and it now works. Thanks to all who suggested it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones