1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S3 Screen issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by madmattz, Jan 27, 2014.

1. madmattz

madmattz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    Hello,

Bought a project S3 on eBay with smashed screen and LCD. Also got a replacement LCD/frond housing. Rest of phone looked good, no water damage etc, clean. However the phone powers up, makes noise, vibrates, capacitive buttons light up and LED works as normal. Also the touch seems to work and makes sounds as I click around the screen. Computer sees the device as well. No display though. Screen remains black. I did notice later that in a dark environment there is a little back light on the LCD but still no image noticed. Is there a way to determine if this is a logic board issue or a possible defective replacement part. Thanks for any info or hints.

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    I dont have anything to suggest man sorry. The only thing i can say is that its an LED display (amoled) and not LCD so there is no backlight.
    Have you tried a MHL-HDMI adaptor to see if it will display on a tv?

3. madmattz

madmattz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    I have not. Pardon my ignorance with the terminology. There is a slight lighting of the screen when in the dark, but I can't see any images. Thanks for the info though.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a damaged screen cause logic board issues. I hate to sell the phone for parts if it just a defective screen issue. The S3 seems to be a hard find around my area. I would love to find someone here so I can plug my replacement screen into their working phone to see if it works.

4. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Sorry if you thought i was being anal mate lol, i just wanted you to know that its not just a backlight, something is triggering all the led pixels so it seems like the display does work to some extent :beer:

5. madmattz

madmattz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    No, didn't think you were being anal at all. I appreciate any info I can get. To this point I have been an iPhone user. Wanted to dabble on the other side. Have zero S3 experience so I was looking for some valued input. So if the LED is being partially powered I may be looking at a device issue rather than a screen issue ?

funkylogik likes this.
  6. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    I wouldnt like to say yes or no mate lol, i dont know enough about it and i think its gona be a hard thing to diagnose without a working s3 to experiment with :(
    Please dont give up on android though. Have you seen the Moto G?

7. madmattz

madmattz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    The wife will be pissed that I invested this much and it doesn't work. I won't tell her yet:) I will hang on to it for a while until I can come across another working S3 to slave the screen onto for testing. I have not seen the Moto. Nor will I give up on Android based on one device. I blame the damage or device not the OS. I may or may not like the OS but I have to try it out to determine that. Even though I have been on the Apple side I have never bashed the Droid side because I have no basis to do so.

8. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Imo (maybe controversial) a stock s3 is a bad way to experience android anyway. The hardware is excellent but the samsung firmware on it is so far removed from pure android that i think it ruins the experience. If you do get her working, id recommend rooting it and putting a kitkat rom on it since youre obviously a tinkerer :)
    Good luck man :beer:

9. madmattz

madmattz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    Have to get the thing working first. Maybe I will re-list on eBay as is and try to recover some of my cash and try with another one.

10. madmattz

madmattz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    I bought another busted one on eBay. Allegedly only the cover glass is shattered and the rest of it is functional. I can use that known good phone to test the new led/digitizer/glass front housing I bought. If it still doesn't work, it gets returned and hopefully replaced with a working one. If it works I'll use it on the new phone, do a LOCA repair on the off unit and get a logic board for the other phone someday. I'll play around with it for a while then resell it.

11. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Cool good luck mate :beer:

12. madmattz

madmattz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    So my first LOCA repair ever went okay. Stink of it is, the first cheap damaged phone I bought had a broken screen. Changed it and the thing boots, capacitive buttons light and respond, LED works but no display.
    Second phone, works great, changed the glass and like a dumb ass I managed to pop the WiFi connector off the damn logic board. So now no WiFi. Damn it. I have never done that on any phone I have worked on. I'm losing my ass over here. I have a 3rd glass only phone coming from eBay to flip. At least I can get one out of here.

Here is my question to all the Android S3 folks : Is there a high occurrence of these S3s being dropped and the screen breaking / going black and taking the logic board out too? I would like to get a couple cheap broken ones and put my screens on them to get some money back, but I'm reluctant to do so based on getting that first one that would not light up the LED.

Thanks for any info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

funkylogik likes this.
  13. madmattz

madmattz Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2014
    Nothing ?