• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
not nessicarly, i wanted the devs to see this

So do I. I think this post belongs here because this will be a decent upgrade from our 3VOs. I read a lot of Android related blogs everyday, but I somehow missed this info until today. So, THANKS, Piznick64, for posting this! :)

That said, I'm planning on getting this to replace my 3VO and my wife's Optimus Elite.

I hope it does come below the $400 mark, but seeing what some of the other prepaid carriers have priced their SGSIIIs at, I think we'll be lucky to land somewhere between $400 - 450. If it is in that price range or under, I'll get it. Any higher and I'm out.

Ting - $490
Cricket - $380 ($150 Instant discount and $20 Web discount; or lease payments at a corporate store)
Straight Talk - $440
WalMart Family Mobile - $525
T-Mobile - $549 (or as $69.99 down payment + $20/mo)

At least with these being on VM/Boost, Google Wallet won't be blocked. The only gripe about my EVO was lack of NFC. I think the Optimus Elite, SGSII and Galaxy Victory have it, but just weren't enough of an upgrade.

Upvote 0
So do I. I think this post belongs here because this will be a decent upgrade from our 3VOs. I read a lot of Android related blogs everyday, but I somehow missed this info until today. So, THANKS, Piznick64, for posting this! :)

That said, I'm planning on getting this to replace my 3VO and my wife's Optimus Elite.

I hope it does come below the $400 mark, but seeing what some of the other prepaid carriers have priced their SGSIIIs at, I think we'll be lucky to land somewhere between $400 - 450. If it is in that price range or under, I'll get it. Any higher and I'm out.

Ting - $490
Cricket - $380 ($150 Instant discount and $20 Web discount; or lease payments at a corporate store)
Straight Talk - $440
WalMart Family Mobile - $525
T-Mobile - $549 (or as $69.99 down payment + $20/mo)

At least with these being on VM/Boost, Google Wallet won't be blocked. The only gripe about my EVO was lack of NFC. I think the Optimus Elite, SGSII and Galaxy Victory have it, but just weren't enough of an upgrade.

Amazon sells the GSM versions unlocked for $450. Anyone asking more than that can kiss my grits. In fact, this was right when the s4 was released. Putting the s3 on vm is more of a clearance maneuver to me. The s2 needs to drop below $200, and the s3 should be about $400. If I can hold out for holiday season, it may drop near $300.

Upvote 0
I can get an s3 on ebay and use it on Ting. The thing is they don't have unlimited plans as it's mostly pay for what you use kind of thing which works great if you don't really use too much of one thing. But now that VM will be getting the s3 what would be the ideal choice? I know VM doesn't have roaming though so I don't know if that is a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
I can get an s3 on ebay and use it on Ting. The thing is they don't have unlimited plans as it's mostly pay for what you use kind of thing which works great if you don't really use too much of one thing. But now that VM will be getting the s3 what would be the ideal choice? I know VM doesn't have roaming though so I don't know if that is a deal breaker.

We can't answer this question for you. I would suggest VM, but I may be biased.

I'd also like to point out that the Samsung Galaxy S2 is now $249...and I expect it to drop more as we get closer to the release of the S3.

Upvote 0

I am on Ting and like it but it really depends on how you use your phone. If Roaming is important to you, then yes, Ting has it. But If having Unlimited Talk or text is what you are after, then VM has it for one low price. Data is kind of a wash because while VM is technically unlimited, it's eventually throttled. They also run servers between you and the web which generally causes things to be a little slower even when it's not throttled. I personally spend most of my day on Wifi, so I don't need the data as much.

Upvote 0
All I know it's I am never dealing with that company again after everything I went through with the evo v.

Dreadful company that loves to piss on their customers.

Have you ever heard of "if you want something done you have to do it yourself? Well that's the way the problems with VM are going to be. $20 a month plans with unlimited data is a steal in my opinion. If you run into a problem just ask the community. Why would you want to pay an extra $30+ dollars for a phone? I'll admit this company is pretty stupid ,but their services are damn cheap which is why I stick with them. You must learn to deal with this ,because you will encounter this stuff wherever you go. Plus this a new company and you have to give them a chance 3rd times the charm right? maybe the s3 will work out great if not our community will make it great

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Have you ever heard of "if you want something done you have to do it yourself? Well that's the way the problems with VM are going to be. $20 a month plans with unlimited data is a steal in my opinion. If you run into a problem just ask the community. Why would you want to pay an extra $30+ dollars for a phone? I'll admit this company is pretty stupid ,but their services are damn cheap which is why I stick with them. You must learn to deal with this ,because you will encounter this stuff wherever you go. Plus this a new company and you have to give them a chance 3rd times the charm right? maybe the s3 will work out great if not our community will make it great

I choose to vote with my $. It took them almost a month to get my money back from a defective evo. I do not pay for warranty, that is a waste. Their customer service is unacceptable and makes VM's phone operators look first class.

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't you just get a free replacement phone? VM is so cheap you don't have to pay for warranties, insurance, 2x cheaper than many other phone companies and you save tons of money on ebay through their top up cards. What can you expect from the VM customer service? They are clueless idiots so I don't even go to them for help ,except when I need a new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones