1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S3 water damage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ajaxxx, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ajaxxx

Ajaxxx Lurker

Hello,
    The worst thing in my life ever just happened I've dropped my new s3 into the water and now after 24 hours of drying it in rice it doesn't turn on, only led randomly blinked a few times after connecting the charger. Is there any chance that I will ever see my phone booting up or can it be repaired? I'm desperate to fix it :'-(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

did you remove the battery immediately and place it in a bag within a bag of rice.

if you didnt do that and have attempted to power it on you will have shorted the device and its probably dead

do you have insurance?

3. Ajaxxx

Ajaxxx Lurker

Yes i did that immediately i tried to turn it on just now after more than a day of drying

4. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

We normally recommend at least 48 hours. However some exposures, even a bag of rice cannot fix.

5. Ajaxxx

Ajaxxx Lurker

So do you think i should try drying it some more even it's not doing anything at all or it's hopeless? Also what about repairing, i guess water damage usually toasts rhe phone right? :(

6. SUroot

Water is very corrosive. Plus its when the power is turned on that the additional damage is done.

You can try and dry it further but its likely toast.

Phone insurance is very important.

7. EpicMindWarp

EpicMindWarp Well-Known Member

My friend had to put his Samsung in a box of rice for a week!

After that it worked, the battery was completley shot though - only lasted 2 hours..

8. If nothing else works try this out. IT'S WORTH A SHOT!

Take a Jar and fill it with 'DRY RICE'. Yes I said RICE!
    The jar should be filled to the top with RICE it should be able to fit your Galaxy SIII (I know it's huge but you have to find a container to fit it).
    Now put the your phone after removing the battery and the covers into the RICE.
    Leave for 2-3 days and try using it again.

The rice is really dry and absorbs moisture. It should suck it all the water from inside your S3 and should definitely help!

Hopefully it will work and you will be thanking me in a couple of days. Sorry if it has been posted already, but I want to help the OP cause I feel for him...

9. EpicMindWarp

EpicMindWarp Well-Known Member

Clearly you didn't even read the first or second post...

10. Well I guess more time in the rice then -,-

11. SUroot

Or fourth or Seventh..

:)

12. Lato9905

Lato9905 Well-Known Member

I'll sell you mine for 600 flat. You're in luck today is tax free day.

13. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member

There is a video of a torturer test being done on the S3 and they drop it in water. When the go to put the phone in a bag full of drying agent, the phone accidentally turns on. It does not work. They let it sit in the bag for several days without a battery. When they turn it back on, it works fine.

Best solution... insurance.

Next best... leave in rice without the battery for several days.

Unfortunately it does not look like you did either of those in the best manner. But that is not to say the phone would not have been toast anyway.

14. davoid

davoid Android Expert

As you said, the phone accidentally turns on and does not work, but after further drying it does work, so the OP could still be in luck and his premature powering up might not have had a detrimental effect.

15. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Guys, you might not believe this, but here goes: Rice is nature's natural desiccant.....

What?? Already posted you say...... Anyway, there were two mimes and a ventriloquist at a bar....

On the serious side, these devices are getting too expensive and complex not to get insurance at least for the first year. Kind of not worth it after that, due to the rapid depreciation of this technology.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews