• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S4 and microSD card questions

Upvote 0
Are you sure it's really a 64GB card. There are a lot of "fakes" on eBay - small capacity cards modified to report a larger capacity to the OS. With these cards things can appear to write ok, but are really overwriting other data.

There's a little disc diagnostics app for Windows, H2testw, which can be used to find the read capacity of a card. See e.g. http://androidforums.com/gome-flytouch-3/345645-h2testw-1-4-detecting-counterfeit-flash-drives.html.

Thanks for the info! I will check it out and report back my findings! Going to get a high quality SD card and see if that makes a difference...

Upvote 0
So in a nutshell when I purchase a high quality SD card (scandisk) it may solve the issues I'm having with my music?(

Sandisk is one of the problematic brands, even when bought through legitimate sources. Although I'd suspect by now most of their bad product is gone. If you stick with that brand, make sure you buy where they have a good return policy.

I switched to a Samsung card and had no issues.

Upvote 0
I just had an issue with my card (a 16GB PNY) that had been working fine in my S4 since June when I got the phone, previously it had been in my Skyrocket. After returning from a trip my phone would not update to the proper time, so I restarted the phone and after booting I received a message that said "SD Card Damaged" the only thing it kept saying was to reformat the card. Did some searching before reformatting and found this to be a problem reported by others and that nothing was actually wrong with the card. I did get a new card and copy all the data from the old card and put it in and the new one is fine as is the old card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones