• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S4 is really starting to p*** me off!

Strange, is it a specific website its freezing on or random?

No its not website specific. Like yesterday I was reading the thread on the new waterproof case by obex or whatever they r called so I got on that sight and it was freezing up. Driving me CRAZY!! never had issues like that with my iphone, I know this aint a iphone but I thought it was suppose to be better. And like if im on facebook in the browser (not the app) and click on a picture or the comments of the pic it takes like litterly a min or so to go to it and freezes the screen.
Ive cleared cache and all the good stuff. Im gonna try chrome. Only thing else I know to do

Upvote 0
The title of the thread should be the stock browser is driving you crazy. Don't blame the phone for a bad app. That said, while the S4 hardware is good, many of the Samsung apps are not that good.

Chrome is a great browser, particularly if you use Chrome on your desktop too, because your Bookmark Bar shortcuts will stay synced. Chrome wasn't designed for the Gingerbread version of Android, and getting Chrome was one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade my phone.

Reactions: Petrah
Upvote 0
No its not website specific. Like yesterday I was reading the thread on the new waterproof case by obex or whatever they r called so I got on that sight and it was freezing up. Driving me CRAZY!! never had issues like that with my iphone, I know this aint a iphone but I thought it was suppose to be better. And like if im on facebook in the browser (not the app) and click on a picture or the comments of the pic it takes like litterly a min or so to go to it and freezes the screen.
Ive cleared cache and all the good stuff. Im gonna try chrome. Only thing else I know to do

Don't know what to say josh, my stock browser doesn't crash, but i'm not really a facebook user. :D

Try Chrome or something else, if you still get crashes then somethings wrong with your phone or the websites your visiting.

Upvote 0
I've not had any similar problem with the stock browser. I've just had a browse to facebook (normally use the app) and it was fine.

Do you have a lot of windows open at once ? I always try and close ones I'm done-with down. I also always close the browser once I'm finished (delete all the windows, open a new one and then hit Back) since on Android it will keep running and if you're on a page with re-loading ads (for example) they will continue to load even while you're not looking at it.

iPhones simply stop apps you're not looking at (unless they're specifically written to carry-on and even then they do so in a very limited way)..

HTH

Upvote 0
The title of the thread should be the stock browser is driving you crazy. Don't blame the phone for a bad app. That said, while the S4 hardware is good, many of the Samsung apps are not that good.

Meh ... I don't agree with much of this at all.

If the problem IS with the stock browser, and it turns out that the browser is the issue, Samsung makes the phone. Samsung customizes the stock browser. The stock browser comes with the phone and is the default method of browsing web pages out of the box. So if the problem is the browser, it most certainly can be linked to Samsung / the GS4...

The problem may not be the browser though.

For the OP:
- Does this happen just on Wifi (there are threads about the GS4 Wifi issues)
- Does it happen just on Mobile (LTE, etc).
- Do you have issues with other apps accessing the web at the same time?

I am assuming you have a good signal for mobile and/or Wifi. If so, then it is quite puzzling. I am not sure what to recommend.

Certainly trying other browsers cannot hurt and may definitely help though. Good luck.

Upvote 0

If the problem IS with the stock browser, and it turns out that the browser is the issue, Samsung makes the phone. Samsung customizes the stock browser. The stock browser comes with the phone and is the default method of browsing web pages out of the box. So if the problem is the browser, it most certainly can be linked to Samsung / the GS4...

Didn't I say many of the Samsung apps are not that good, and isn't the "stock" browser a Samsung app? I don't think they just customize it (although it's probably based on something). I'm pretty sure the standard browser for Jelly Bean is Chrome, which is why you don't need to install Chrome to use Chrome (unlike say Firefox).

Reactions: Tide311
Upvote 0
The stock Android browser is a Google app and is not Chrome and never has been. There are two separate development teams for the two browsers. I also can't see why Samsung would try rewriting the stock browser.

I do use the stock browser and it has paused briefly a few times but it hasn't been enough to annoy me and I'm easily annoyed.

Upvote 0

The problem may not be the browser though.

For the OP:
- Does this happen just on Wifi (there are threads about the GS4 Wifi issues)
- Does it happen just on Mobile (LTE, etc).
- Do you have issues with other apps accessing the web at the same time?

I am assuming you have a good signal for mobile and/or Wifi. If so, then it is quite puzzling. I am not sure what to recommend.

Certainly trying other browsers cannot hurt and may definitely help though. Good luck.

It has happened on both wifi and lte or 4g. I dont think its a connection issue because it happens after the page has fully loaded and scrolling. Not sure about the other apps. Im using chrome qnd I went to the web pages it always froze up on and had no issues.

Upvote 0
If that's the case, why does my Nexus 7 only have Chrome?
It is (almost) completely true but the Nexus 7 is an exception. That ships with only Chrome but almost every other Android device has a separate stock browser that is not Chrome and that includes the S4.

Here is a link to a short article I read a couple of years ago that goes into some of the detail http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/17/google-chrome-android/.

Samsung did not write the stock browser and I have no reason to believe that they have even modified it. The stock Android browser is not Chrome even in Jelly Bean (except the Nexus 7 - quite why I don't know) but I am sure that Google will eventually merge the two. So far however, they haven't done so and Samsung is innocent of any shortcomings in the stock browser.

Upvote 0
It has happened on both wifi and lte or 4g. I dont think its a connection issue because it happens after the page has fully loaded and scrolling. Not sure about the other apps. Im using chrome qnd I went to the web pages it always froze up on and had no issues.

Well, it sounds like you have a fix , which is great!. It definitely seems like an issue with the stock browser for some reason.

I, like others here, have had no issues with it. If you like Chrome, I would just stay with that. For the stock browser, you might try going into Application manager (Settings, More, Application Manager, scroll over to "All" and click on "Internet". From there I would try clearing data, clearing cache, and clearing defaults. See if it works then ..

Upvote 0
I had this same issue last week... I ended up fixing it by hitting menu>settings>privacy>delete personal data>select all>done.

Using stock browser, no problems since. Had the freeze on this site and droid life..... Post back if it works for you

I eneded up freezing the stick browser and been using chrome ever since and havent had any issues. So gonna stick with that for now. Thanks tho, if I do go back to the stock ill give it a try

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones