1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S4 no longer allowing me to save to external SD card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by emmjay, Oct 27, 2014.

1. emmjay

emmjay Lurker

Hi, I am in the UK and have a GT-i9505, currently on 4.4.2. Recently after a Kies update, my phone refused to save music from the Kies library (or any other library on the PC) to the external SD card. Neither will it update apps now unless I move them back to the device storage, and then won't let me move them back to the external sd card. Having researched a bit I discovered this is as a result of a deliberate software change by Android. To say I'm fed up would be an understatement - the external storage is the main reason I got the phone and it's not even a year old yet. I use it as a music player as well as all the usual smartphone stuff. The 4.4.4 update hasn't got to me yet, but doesn't sound promising. I have 2 questions: Firstly, is it likely that Android will put the ability to save to external SD cards back? And secondly, I understand that if I root the phone, there are ways around this but as a non-techy person I'm very nervous about doing this - any advice, one way or the other please?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Hello and welcome to Android Forums emmjay! :)

Sorry to learn you are having problems with your External SD card. Here is the lowdown on the 4.4.2 update and how it really affects external SD cards...

KitKat & SD cards explained

You also do not give the details of your SD card as there have been problems with not only the very cheap ones bought from the web but also with some SanDisk cards.

You could try copying off any data that you wish to keep, photos, music, etc; and reformat you SD card and re-load it again.

emmjay likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews