• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S4 screen/display and UI

Zcherub

Jul 27, 2013
Hi all. Been an Apple guy for a few years, but I'm not a "fanboy". In fact, I see a lot of areas where some Android phones are just offering a better product for me.

That said, I've pretty much decided that I'll be picking up an S4 or an HTC One in the next week or so. Everything about the S4 seems to be technically better except for two things:

-over saturated color
-the UI seems to be a little bloated with (for me) un-needed gimmicky apps

The HTC One seems to have a cleaner UI look and a screen w/ more true to life colors (although I realize the S4 has deeper blacks, and the HTC does have it's irritating useless apps/"features" - just not quite as many).

My question is, is there an option to turn down the saturation on the S4? That's a bigger deal to me than anything just because I'd consider rooting & installing the stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on either device (always jail broke my Apple devices too - mostly to add features that are native on Android at this point, lol).

If anyone knows for sure if the S4's saturation can be tone down to get colors closer to the HTC, let me know before I buy inept them :)

Thanks!

I can't answer your question about color saturation. Not something that bothers me or that I notice, but I have noticed the album covers look a heck of a lot better on my S4 than on my old Android. Not sure if it's the size, the resolution or the color.

Anyway, if you're thinking about rooting and have Verizon read up about their latest update which apparently makes that difficult/impossible. If you have AT&T or T-Mobile, consider the Google Edition (particularly if you're with T-Mobile where it makes more sense financially). The HTC One also has a Google Edition. Pure Android.

Upvote 0
The screen on the S4 (as well as many other Samsung phones) does have somewhat over-saturated colours. However, the screen looks fantastic and unless you are a graphic designer who intends to do DTP on your phone (which is presumably an extremely small group of people) I cannot see why it would matter.

People complain about the bloat on Samsung phones but I have to say that I think it is pretty daft most of the time for two reasons. The first is that they frequently find that some of the features that they rely on are part of this "bloat" and the other is that it doesn't actually do any material harm to the usability of the phone. I have asked here and elsewhere and I have yet to see any evidence that the software that Samsung has installed slows the phone down at all.

I own an iPhone 5 and an S4 and I love my S4. The iPhone is a good phone, but it's nothing to get excited about. The S4 really does have some great features and the screen (with its over-saturated colours) is one of the best things about it.

Upvote 0
-over saturated color
-the UI seems to be a little bloated with (for me) un-needed gimmicky apps

Settings - My Device - Display - Screen Mode.
You can change the saturation there. (no such option on HTC)

As for the apps. All the apps you don't like can be disabled, and enabled back whenever you feel like it.

The HTC One seems to have a cleaner UI look and a screen w/ more true to life colors (although I realize the S4 has deeper blacks, and the HTC does have it's irritating useless apps/"features" - just not quite as many).

I don't know. I was never big fan of Sense UI. Regardless, the first thing I do when I get new phone, is to load a launcher, Nova Prime, and change the layout to my liking. From icons size to icon greed, speed it up for quick swiping, add gestures to control bunch of apps and shortcuts, and hundreds of other things... You can change pretty much whatever is that you want, with non system invasive app, without rooting and causing any damage or warranty voids.

Samples:
http://mycolorscreen.com/

My question is, is there an option to turn down the saturation on the S4?

Yes. As said above.

I'm not committed Samsung fan. I'm an enthusiast of Android and phone that adds on most of other extra features on top of the vanilla OS.

Why Samsung not HTC? Because Samsung is far more successful on the Android market. Given S series and Note are the company's flagships, you get updates much faster than you will on HTC. I know first hand, Wife used to be HTC enthusiast for many years.

Also, once you get to use Samsung's Touchwiz and all the little options and features, you will find it very useful. Seriously, whether custom vibra pattern for your caller, Smart Alter, Smart Stay for reading, Pop up video player allowing you to watch video while whatsapping or SMS-ing...and so many more, which are not to be found on HTC.
Some people make fun of these features, and I can understand that. But right now, I have 5 Galaxies at home, and I find myself even using Group Play.
My son sets up a playlist on his Note2, stream it to my phone while I work in my studio, and I'm able to change the songs or play them again with ease. Not just a gimmick :)

Anyway,
It's hard to say what's better for you, when you hold the phone for few minutes. You only get to realize how many of the gimmicks make things easier and faster, as you use it for couple of days or weeks.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
Thanks all - especially Seba, very helpful. I'll dig into it a little more as I really new to learn more about exactly HOW MUCH I can customize things like the color saturation & the extra apps...

Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to REALLY get a feel for it is to buy the phone and test drive it...

Good news about being able to adjust some of those things, though. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks all - especially Seba, very helpful. I'll dig into it a little more as I really new to learn more about exactly HOW MUCH I can customize things like the color saturation & the extra apps...

Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to REALLY get a feel for it is to buy the phone and test drive it...

Good news about being able to adjust some of those things, though. Thanks again!

You are most welcome :)

Visit the link I posted in my previous reply. My Color Screen is a site, where we post our mods and explain how we do that, what apps we apply and provide source files for you to play with.

As you will see, you can customize the layout in any way imaginable, through launchers, widgets and apps.

Not to mention, you can actually built your own widgets. Minimalistic Text widget or UCCW allows you to built them from scratch, and the weidget can feed you with fair amount of info, from system to weather and the like. While the first time playing around, might be a little scary, all the environment and all unknown options, but believe me, within 15 minutes you will figure it out. And if you have a problem, stop by, and I will make quick video showing you how to get it done.

Simple example. I want to pull my calendar appointment for the next 24h. I want to know the weather, what is my battery like, and rain prediction for the next 24 hours, so when I plan a cycling trip, I get the general idea. And I must say, the widget is pretty close with those forecasts:

a54Ye4O.png

I can also promise you, that this is just scratching the surface. We didn't introduce you to tasker yet. Tasker can fry brain, with all the things it can do for you.

Ok, I won't be teasing you anymore. Come back and share with us, what is that you eventually chose, regardless whether HTC or Samsung :)

Upvote 0
Personally, I think the main reasons to get an S4 over an HTC are the larger screen, removable battery, availability of wireless charging, and SD card. Also, the button layout on the HTC is silly.

Sense is a bit more unified than touchwiz. But, plain Android rocks. You are better off to disable most of the add-on crap and install Nova.

Personal opinion, but if I had to live with a skin, sense is slightly nicer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones