1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S4 shutting off at boot screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lacit1707, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Lacit1707

Lacit1707 Well-Known Member

So, today my power button was not working to turn the screen on and off (Phone already powered on). So, power button is not working, so i had to take the battery out in order to shut it off.

I did that and now my phone starts to turn on but shuts down at the boot up screen. Any ideas???

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Try wiping the cache partition as per #1.3 of S4 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide, to see if that helps.

3. Lacit1707

the up volume button and power button press isnt doing anything unfortunately....

4. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest

It's doing that because the button is stuck. Gently tap your phone against a hard surface to release the button.

5. Lacit1707

question, could the button be "stuck" internally? the actual button will press in and out...but is unresponsive...so, is it psosible that while the button still can be pressed that it is stll "stuck" internally?

6. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest

Yes, I believe that is what happens which is why gentle tapping should free it.

7. Lacit1707

ok, thanks... i'll give that a try and i also got a youtube video of taking apart the phone and looking at it internally... really hope this works... thanks again

8. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest

Best of luck. It's a fairly common problem, not that that helps!

9. fireitup

fireitup Lurker

Hi, I have had the same issues. Tried to find answers all over the internet for months and none of them worked. I too thought it was the on/off button and maybe it is on your phone but it wasn't on mine. This worked though:
    Take the phone apart, separate the motherboard (very easy to do, see Youtube videos). Get a can of electrical contact cleaner (readily available at Halfords, B&Q etc) and give the motherboard a bath in the stuff. let it dry COMPLETELY, (it doesn't take long). Put the phone back together and see if it works. It did for me.

10. Gin Causing

Gin Causing Lurker

Hi. My phone keeps turning off randomly especially if i connect it to my wifi then it turns on again by itself, then before it turns on completely it turns off again until i take out the battery and sometimes that doesn't even work still, until i connect my charger. idk whats happening . it still works normally though. it just turns off randomly. Help?

11. fireitup

fireitup Lurker

I am certain it is an electrical contact problem. My phone worked absolutely fine when it did work. I did the contact cleaner thing (see previous post) and it has been fine ever since. So it couldn't be a software problem could it? Maybe it was the power button and the cleaner cleaned the power button connections. See Youtube video to open your phone up:
    I also vacuumed the PCB's, to remove any dust particles that had got in.
    As I saw it, I didn't have much to lose by trying it. A broken phone or a fixed phone. I now have a fixed phone.

Good Luck

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews