• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S5 Active Slowness

jconway23

Nov 3, 2012
So I was trying to do some reading on this and really haven't found anything rock solid yet.

A few weeks ago I did a full reset back to factory specs. My phone is updated with the latest software and all my normal apps I use are back on it.

Its running sooooo slow. Some days its fine but mostly its not. Its almost unbearable to use at times. Is anyone having an issue like this or is there something I'm missing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Jesse

So I was trying to do some reading on this and really haven't found anything rock solid yet.

A few weeks ago I did a full reset back to factory specs. My phone is updated with the latest software and all my normal apps I use are back on it.

Its running sooooo slow. Some days its fine but mostly its not. Its almost unbearable to use at times. Is anyone having an issue like this or is there something I'm missing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Jesse

Apart from running the Android and Samsung software, the Active has to also contend with the not inconsiderable amount of AT&T bloatware as well as the user's apps. Do you have any of the following apps installed...

Apps that auto start or run in the background

1. Facebook

2. BlackBerry Messenger

3. 8 Ball Pool

4. Instagram

5. Messenger

6. WeChat

7. Facebook Pages Manager

8. Oovoo Video Call Text & Voice

9. KakaoTalk Free Calls & Text

10. Vine

Apps that are initiated by the user

1. Spotify

2. Amazon Kindle

3. Line Free Calls & Messages

4. Samsung WatchOn Video

5. Snapchat

6. Netflix

7. SoundCloud Music & Audio

8. CleanMaster Speed Booster

9. Tumblr

10. Picsart Photo Studio

Upvote 0
Apart from running the Android and Samsung software, the Active has to also contend with the not inconsiderable amount of AT&T bloatware as well as the user's apps. Do you have any of the following apps installed...

Apps that auto start or run in the background

1. Facebook

2. BlackBerry Messenger

3. 8 Ball Pool

4. Instagram

5. Messenger

6. WeChat

7. Facebook Pages Manager

8. Oovoo Video Call Text & Voice

9. KakaoTalk Free Calls & Text

10. Vine

Apps that are initiated by the user

1. Spotify

2. Amazon Kindle

3. Line Free Calls & Messages

4. Samsung WatchOn Video

5. Snapchat

6. Netflix

7. SoundCloud Music & Audio

8. CleanMaster Speed Booster

9. Tumblr

10. Picsart Photo Studio

Yeah I have most of the "social media" apps Its weird cause it sometimes works fine. But over the last week its brutal. Almost makes me want to go back to the dark side. I have a hard time answering the phone and sending a text.

Upvote 0
Yeah I have most of the "social media" apps Its weird cause it sometimes works fine. But over the last week its brutal. Almost makes me want to go back to the dark side. I have a hard time answering the phone and sending a text.

You have just answered your own question. If 1, 2, 3 or 4 of those apps fire up in the background at the same time, hogging your memory and data... ssslllloooowwww

Facebook and Spotify Music apps are the biggest hogs of your Android phone’s battery, memory, and data

Upvote 0
You have just answered your own question. If 1, 2, 3 or 4 of those apps fire up in the background at the same time, hogging your memory and data... ssslllloooowwww

Facebook and Spotify Music apps are the biggest hogs of your Android phone’s battery, memory, and data

I agree with what you said but what I don't understand is why all of a sudden. Yeah app updates and so on. But if it this bad for me how many other people experience this. Just seems like Samsung is dropping the ball with support for their devices.

Upvote 0
I agree with what you said but what I don't understand is why all of a sudden. Yeah app updates and so on. But if it this bad for me how many other people experience this. Just seems like Samsung is dropping the ball with support for their devices.

Samsung are not responsible for AT&T's, "cloneware", or the extra, added, bloatware that AT&T insist on placing on their phone models. See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. Neither are they responsible for the number of apps that a user chooses to install or the quality of those apps which, as one of my colleagues on here once said... "are written by brain dead monkeys!" Some of these app developers behave as if theirs is the only app you will install on your phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for that read. I never really looked at it that way. I'm the IT field and hate troubleshooting things anymore and its almost like I expect things to just work. And lately I've been working with a lot of apple ipads and they seem pretty rock solid from when they first came out. And lets not even talk about how fast they are. But again I'm to the point where I just want things to work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones