1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S5 Active, Update to 5.1.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kapi2454, Feb 9, 2016.

1. kapi2454

kapi2454 Lurker

Hi guis, I have a SM-G870A. It has android 5.0 and I want to upgrate i 5.1.1, If I try OTA it said " Up to date".
    Can I download the update and install it from SD?
    Thank you!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

[QUOTE="kapi2454, post: 7217252, member: 1925890"]Hi guis, I have a SM-G870A. It has android 5.0 and I want to upgrate i 5.1.1, If I try OTA it said " Up to date".
    Can I download the update and install it from SD?
    Thank you![/QUOTE]

Hello and welcome to Android Forums kapi2454 :)

AT&T firmware is not released by Samsung and therefore is not available from the usual Samsung firmware download sources. If you are rooted you can flash it from, here.

Unrooted users must be registered on the AT&T network to receive their OTA updates.

#2 ironass, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  3. kapi2454

kapi2454 Lurker

Hi ironass, thank for answer.
    I try to root it but I can't, nothing work.
    Do you know a root method?

I not living in usa, for that reason I can't register on a AT&T network :(
    It's the only way to use OTA?

Is on any place a OEM Firmware? (no AT%T firmware) .

Thank you

4. ironass

Here is the Catch 22 situation you are in... AT&T have made their recent flagship firmware releases unrootable. They do not release their firmware and they can only be updated OTA if you are registered on their network and no other firmware apart from AT&T's SM-870A firmware can be flashed to it.

Basically, the AT&T carrier minority variant is only designed to be fully used on their network. I do not know of any stock AT&T Active downloads for firmware. You may do better asking on the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active forum if there are any other alternatives that they can suggest.

5. bartjunited

bartjunited Well-Known Member

Is it possible to upgrade the sm900f to 5.1.1 and if so how?

6. ironass

As per post #2...

bartjunited likes this.
  7. bartjunited

Thanks so I'm in the UK on EE, so as long as I root the phone then I can manually install the update?

Can I flash through recovery or odin

8. ironass

As per the first sentence of the link for the 5.1.1 ROM in post #2...

"**You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**"

As per the installation instructions contained in the ROM link... Flashfire and Odin are required.

9. bartjunited

managed to flash the ROM

but after reboot i cant install the bootloader using ODIN i get a failed message as below
    any ideas?

upload_2016-2-12_11-39-53.png

10. bartjunited

also after rebooting the phone i get an AT & T logo and then as my phone is encrypted for work it asks me for my passowrd whihc i type in correctly but it says incorrect password???

11. ironass

As per post #4, you would do better posting on either the Root - Samsung Galaxy S5 Active where there are other users and rooters for the Galaxy S5 Active model or on the xda developers thread that you are following. This is the standard Galaxy S5 forum and I do not own the Active model, G870A, and have never even seen one, here, in the U.K.

12. bartjunited

ah sh!t
    i now seem to be in a bootloop no matter what i install
    boots to the galazy screen and then keeps rebooting !
    sh!t sh!t Sh!t

any ideas what i can do pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

13. ironass

You could try wiping your phone's cache partition in recovery mode. As I have already mentioned, I am not familiar with the Galaxy Active, G870A, or the technique described in xda, for updating.

#13 ironass, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews