• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S5 battery issue

nasrin94

Lurker
Oct 16, 2014
I have a s5 which is about 4 months old. My battery lasts for about 12-13 hours and i charge it twice. I use whatsapp, telegram, google+, and music player all the time.
so i was wondering if charging twice is fine. Can you guys tell me how many times u charge ur s5?

i couldn't attach my screenshot of battery info:mad:

Thanks in advance

I have a s5 which is about 4 months old. My battery lasts for about 12-13 hours and i charge it twice. I use whatsapp, telegram, google+, and music player all the time.
so i was wondering if charging twice is fine. Can you guys tell me how many times u charge ur s5?

i couldn't attach my screenshot of battery info:mad:

Thanks in advance

Install a Qi wireless charger and forget the nuisance factor:
* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine' for $18.99 and includes the Charger Pad

Not to worry, the new generation of batteries are just about totally immune to the effects of charging frequently.

With the apps you are using, your battery life is about normal.

we can all argue how good, or bad, our batteries are, but it all comes down to how much juice we pull out of them.

me, I am sort of frugal, no social apps, no games, no interactive stuff, I get 3 plus days per charge.

Attachments

• Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0
I just got my S5 8-9 days ago. The first 3-4 days I was able to go 20-24 hrs until getting below 10%, and I would only use about 10% while sleeping. Now, my battery has gone to crap in the past few days. After 12 hours I'm down to 30% - and that includes 6-7 hrs of sleep! Last night I had it on battery saver, and it STILL went down 30+% while sleeping!!!

Upvote 0
I just got my S5 8-9 days ago. The first 3-4 days I was able to go 20-24 hrs until getting below 10%, and I would only use about 10% while sleeping. Now, my battery has gone to crap in the past few days. After 12 hours I'm down to 30% - and that includes 6-7 hrs of sleep! Last night I had it on battery saver, and it STILL went down 30+% while sleeping!!!

Happened again last night. Woke up with only 52% left after only 8hr 50 mins. Around 8 hrs was when I was sleeping. It was at 90% when I went to bed, so I lost 35-40% while I was sleeping.

Any ideas on what's going on???

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-18-09-13-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-18-09-13-35.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2014-10-18-09-13-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-18-09-13-39.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_2014-10-18-09-13-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-18-09-13-51.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_2014-10-18-09-14-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-18-09-14-03.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0
Just the stock strip it down until the problem goes away suggestions.

Turn OFF all apps you can't do without "right now", especially anything with 'Amazon' in the name.

S Health runs continuously, so turn it OFF for sure.

Go to Google+ on the web with your PC and configure it to NOT sync, do NOT let it upload pictures (this will kill batteries), in fact, just disable Google+ until you resolve your problem.

Now, turn OFF both WiFi and Data and monitor the battery use. If you have the phone cleaned up, it should drop about 8-10 percent per day (24 hours). Well under 1% per hour for sure.

Social apps are horrible battery eaters, I don't use them on a cellphone.

I personally, prefer to turn off the internet when the phone is locked and idle in my pocket. So, I use MacroDroid to run two macros.

Macro #1 senses screen status Locked, then it turns off WiFi and Data

Macro #2 senses screen status Unlocked, and it turns ON Wifi and Data.

When I unlock the phone, takes about 3-5 seconds total for the internet to come alive completely if at home.

4g locks on in about 1 second.

WiFi seems to vary but runs around 5 seconds after screen unlock.

Either way, it does not bother me for that short delay because my battery is always near full charge when I need the phone. That means I can do an awful lot of surfing, maps, navigation, ..... whatever, and the battery is still about 3/4 charged at the end of the day.

Attachments

• Battery 22 Hrs 74%.jpg
    Battery 22 Hrs 74%.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
As u r a new user, you will need to turn off some settings as Azgl said. Turn off some unwanted motions and gestures. Disable auto brightness and set ur brightness to low as u can. Make sure u turn off ur wifi, mobile data, location and gps when not in use.
This should make some changes.
And my phone doesn't normally take that much battery when i sleep. It only takes about 3 or 4% for 7 hrs sleeping.

Upvote 0
Just to be sure, when I turn off mobile data, can I still receive texts & calls?

Oops! I always try to let a new user know that all of the suggestions about turning things off, will always allow the phone to take/make phone calls. Likewise SMS text messages will still work even with small pix attachments.

that is because those two features are a part of the basic 1x telco service and will work regardless of how much you disable on a smartphone.

As the previous poster said, and I forgot to say, turn off all 3D type features. Animations, Motions, Gestures, Waves, etc.... I leave those turned OFF all the time as a regular thing. I don't need or want them. They are great for someone who works in an office and leaves the phone on the desk. Not so great for one who works outside with heavy equipment because that stuff causes the phone to do things you did not intend to happen in outdoor type use.

Once you have the phone working properly and well behaved, then you can turn things ON one at a time and discover which app went rogue.

Reactions: jaymzway
Upvote 0
Oops! I always try to let a new user know that all of the suggestions about turning things off, will always allow the phone to take/make phone calls. Likewise SMS text messages will still work even with small pix attachments.

that is because those two features are a part of the basic 1x telco service and will work regardless of how much you disable on a smartphone.

As the previous poster said, and I forgot to say, turn off all 3D type features. Animations, Motions, Gestures, Waves, etc.... I leave those turned OFF all the time as a regular thing. I don't need or want them. They are great for someone who works in an office and leaves the phone on the desk. Not so great for one who works outside with heavy equipment because that stuff causes the phone to do thing you did not intend to happen in outdoor type use.

Once you have the phone working properly and well behaved, then you can turn things ON one at a time and discover which app went rogue.

:mad: oh dang namit I always wanted to tether to a :driver: Euclid eh1600 or how about a :stupido2: 900 front end loader ? that would be awesome Rockquarry brutal bro I know been there WOW!

Upvote 0
I had already 'Turned Off' some of the Verizon apps, but I turned off the rest of them yesterday. Seems to have worked. Only went down about 10% while sleeping, and was still around 20-30% after 22 hrs.

Great now that turning off all that stuff seemed to have fixed it.. Now you need to get to the root cause of the battery drain..

Otherwise you bought a smart phone and had to cripple it just to get decent battery life.

Upvote 0
I had already 'Turned Off' some of the Verizon apps, but I turned off the rest of them yesterday. Seems to have worked. Only went down about 10% while sleeping, and was still around 20-30% after 22 hrs.

Wow!! that's good to hear. while sleeping, put ur brightness to low. that's what i do every-time and my phone only takes 3-5% during night.

Try that and let me know if that works

Upvote 0
Wow!! that's good to hear. while sleeping, put ur brightness to low. that's what i do every-time and my phone only takes 3-5% during night.

Try that and let me know if that works

I usually keep my brightness at 50% during the day, and put it to 25% when the battery is low. I also usually put it to 25% when I'm in bed because I use my phone for about 15-20 before going to bed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones