1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S5: Get email off phone

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by mdberger, Jul 26, 2016.

1. mdberger

mdberger Newbie

Dec 24, 2014
    Male
    I have about 600 emails on my Galexy S5 that I would like to copy to
    a Windows box or a Linux box. How can I do this. Additionally,
    what file are the emails stored in? The email app is the one that came
    with the phone.
    Thanks,
    Mike.

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Simple answer is to log into that account from a PC, and just save them there in a folder.

I do that all the time....

3. mdberger

mdberger Newbie

Dec 24, 2014
    Male

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    ummmm, if you have email on your phone, you have to be registered to an email account.

since it is android, I am assuming that since you aren't aware of where it is, it has to be a gmail account.

goto https://mail.google.com/

Sign in with your username that is the same as your phone.
    then supply the password you use with that phone.

that should show you the emails you are logged into.

I am assuming your phone is NOT a corporate phone.

5. mdberger

mdberger Newbie

Dec 24, 2014
    Male
    Ah yes, thank you for the claricication. I in fact know about my email account, it is Verizon.

However, the 600 emails are not on my Veriizon account -- they have been deleted. They
    are on my phone.To see them, I select:

Email -> Show All Folders -> Trash Or I could move them to Inbox.

Now if you were to tell me that they are not really on my phone, but somewhere in the
    cloud, I would not be suprised, but I don't think so. In any case, I cannot find them with
    My Files -- but I don't know what to look for. So I still don,t know how to get them to another box.

(BTW, I know I could forward them, one at a time, to myself, and solve the problem. If
    I could forward them all as a block, I would be happy.)

6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    it has been so long since I used VZW's email... and I only did it once to activate it.

From what I understand now, you have one choice, forward them to a new email address.
    They must be very important for you to have saved them.... ah, maybe not so much.

I have thousands of old emails stored, but I used Folders for each person's name, and if something is worthy of saving, I move it to their folder..... but it is all in the cloud on Yahoo.

I just yesterday pulled out a 5 year old email from a dear friend, and forwarded it to his widow...
    it made her cry, but she loved it and thanked me so much for it. a reminder of what they used to have.

he was returning home from work one day, riding his freshly restored Indian motorcycle. It was a classic family heirloom from the 40s..... his great grandfather used to own it, had bought it new.

anyway, he passed out that day, and witnesses said he just slowly drifted off the highway into the center median and fell off of it. The bike went another half mile before it hit a fence and turned over.

The ME said he died of natural causes, and was dead before he hit the ground.

7. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    They're stored in an area of the device you won't have access too without root and even then, they'll be in a db file, probably only readable by whatever email app you're using.

If you're just looking to back them up for safekeeping, I'm pretty sure you can do that with Kies (someone with a Samsung will need to confirm though).

If they're not visible when viewing via Verizon online, they might be if you move them to your inbox, wait or a minute or two to sync, then try again.

Failing that, you could try another email app?

svim likes this.
  8. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Log into your Verizon account using a web browser just to double-check that those messages are indeed gone.
    That aside, at this point I'd strongly recommend you give some serious thought about migrating away from your carrier-based, Verizon email service to one like Gmail or Outlook mail. With your current Verizon email service, if some day you opt to change to a different carrier your online emails/contacts/calendar are tied to your Verizon account. If you switch to Gmail for instance, your info is unencumbered and will always accessible even if you move to AT&T, then back to Verizon, and maybe later to T-Mobile or Sprint.
    Also, from this point on go into your email app's settings and change it so messages don't delete off the servers once you download them to your phone. You pretty much want to do the opposite of what you've been doing -- instead of having your phone be the sole storage for your email, what you want are the online servers of your email service to be your the main, permanent storage with your phone being a mere, remote-access mail client. Relying on any smartphone to be any kind of safe, long-term data storage device is not a good backup solution. Always view your phone as a temporary, remote-access device. It may excel at being convenient and portable, but it's also easily lost and can be very difficult to retrieve data off of when there's a problem.

As for those 600 emails now stranded on your phone, if push comes to shove forward them all to your Gmail account. If you can't select all at once, just do them in groups of 50 or so. Even though it seems like a real pain, after twelve sessions it's a task you don't need to repeat again.

9. mdberger

mdberger Newbie

Dec 24, 2014
    Male
    Thanks for this advice. Most of the suggestions are things I already do, but there is an unusual situation related to the concurrent occurance of two things: 1 - My house is undergoung a major renovation limiting my access to my numerous conputers; 2 - there was a Verizon bug that denied me access to my webmail account. To fix it, my password was changed. That returned the "do not delete" option to the default, resulting in my present situation. I think that the the suggestion that I switch to gmail is probably good.

Back to the present problem. I would be happy with the suggestion that I forward 50 at I time, but I do not see how to do that. When I select more than one email, I do not see a forward option. Am I missing something?

El Presidente likes this.
  10. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    It's been years since I've used the default mail app so I don't know if this applies but if there's a 'select all' option in either its menu or by long pressing on a message there should be a 'forward' selection in the resulting contextual menu. The 'select all' function may apply only to the emails showing in the current list so you'll need to scroll down into the next paging to continue the process.

11. mdberger

mdberger Newbie

Dec 24, 2014
    Male
    There is a way to select all, or at least select many. But when I do this, I see no way to forward.

12. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I can't think of anything more you can do other than browse through your 600 emails, pick the most relevant, and forward those individually. That's a significant, daunting project but it's a matter where you're pretty much backed into a corner. Even if your S5 was rooted, the email is stored in a database file that's very likely tied to the email app so even if you did have access that file, importing it to a different email service would be problematic. Also, the default email app has, by design, a limited feature set. Its target audience is for those who only want to read their email with a minimum of management tools, leaving more demanding users to switch to one of the much more expansive, versatile, third-party email apps.