• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warren246

Lurker
Jul 10, 2016
Since I purchased my S5 ( currently running Android 6.0.1/ on Straight Talk Wireless) from Amazon it has been having problems with different apps that use GPS. Google maps (It shows my car off the road and doesn't have me in the right location, slowly changes/ jumps around where I am). Same applies for Waze.

Pokemon GO is having a similar issue, the GPS never shows me in the right location/ jumps around where I am.

I have tried calibration/ resets/ tightening of screws. All to no avail.

Lastly I tried GPS Status and Toolbox, the compass is working great but it is constantly "Looking for GPS location"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alright, here's the deal. There are a few potential fixes for the GPS. Most require a rooted device. I think you can try this without it. However there is always a risk when changing settings in the service menu. That being said. If you decide to try this and your device is damaged. Not my fault:D. You have been warned.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2211690

If it works... Go check out our Pokémon GO thread.

Upvote 0
Just for anyone who sees this thread in a search for Samsung S5 GPS issues. I have seen two phones where the GPS has gone bad. Has low level GPS signals when a GPS test application is used and GPS worked to a degree but slow to lock and in-accurate (> 200m). In both of these phones it was due to damage to the GPS antenna. It looks like this is outside of the water seals of this phone ... If you replace the "middle frame" of the phone (about £4) this has the chrome plastic edge and buttons but also contains the GPS and all other antennas and fixes the problem. You do have to dismantle the phone to do this including unglueing the LCD panel with heat, but it is reasonable easy for those that can DIY.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones