1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General S5 not as 'fast' as Note3?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by carnut65, Dec 1, 2014.

1. carnut65

carnut65 Member
    None

May 9, 2014
    I was using my son's Note3 the other day and noticed that it is 'faster', 'snappier' than my S5. By 'fast' I mean responsiveness. I.e, opening apps, sliding screens, moving between screens, etc.. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Are there any actual performance tests that either prove or dis-prove?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,

well, I also just happened to have a chance to use a Note 3 today, and like you, I noticed that it "seemed to be" a bit snappier doing things.

I dismissed it as being a "light weight" in overall capabilities. The S5 comes with a whole encyclopedia of capabilities compared to the Note 3. I think the extra stuff going on in the background is slowing the S5's response down just a tad.

It is not enough to make me get rid of my S5, but that larger display and the slightly faster response of the Note 3 sure was attractive to me as I do not use any of the frills on the S5. S Health, nope.... animations, nope, fancy backgrounds, nope. Just vanilla black bkgrd and DOS 3.3 capabilites .... tee hee

The Mell of the Hess is, I had originally decided that I wanted a Note 3 after comparing all of the specs on both. Then, darn it, Verizon dropped the promotion price on the Note 3 before my contract ran out, and the S5 was the only thing left that I was willing to bite off on.

The Note 3 has one glaring problem, it won't quite fit in my shirt pocket. Darn it. But, wow! do I ever love that display size and the much larger keyboard..... I forgot to see which flavor of KitKat is on the Note 3.... my S5 is 4.4.4

3. AnonGuy

AnonGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 30, 2014
    None of the premise in that statement makes any sense to me.

1. The Note 3 has more software on it than the S5. Notes always do, because they have all the extras for S Pen functionality.
    2. The Note 3 has more "frills" than the S5. That's a byproduct of its form factor, as stated in '1'.
    3. The Note 3 is using an older build of TW than the S5, which is not as well optimized, and an older SoC Package.
    4. With the S5, Samsung actually preloaded less crap than they did on the Note 3.

I think the extra 1GB RAM on top of TW is what gives the Note 3 the edge. Samsung should have gone with 3GB in the S5, IMO. The extra RAM seems to help TouchWiz devices disproportionately more than it helps HTC or Motorola devices, or devices running other OSes like iOS and Windows Phone.

The S5's reception is enough of a reason to get it over the Note 3. The Note 3 is terrible, and it's a common issue. Verizon's forums have been blowing up about this for several months now.

Doesn't matter if it has a Quantum Computer in it, if your SMS and Group Messages are failing left and right in your living room, you're dropping tons of calls, and the phone doesn't know how to consistently switch from 3G to LTE when traveling through areas of various reception quality (unless you toggle Airplane mode)...

-

Regarding the Note 3's processing performance (as in running apps and using the phone as a smart device)...

I've always said the phone was a flagship performer - even now. The issues with it are (on Verizon) the bad radio/antennas and the bloat loaded on it. I've never had any complaints about it performance-wise, and it performs as well as my HTC One M8 did with older hardware in it. Assuming you don't have the Verizon variant, and got the Note 3 near release, it's a true 2+ year device, IMO.

So it doesn't surpise me that you (OP) notice it being as snappy or even snappier than an S5, especially since it (until the Note 4) was, IMO, the best-spec'd TouchWiz device (that extra RAM makes that much of a difference on Samsung devices).

But I got rid of mine for an iPhone 6 Plus, cause the reception is just not acceptable with it, and I already have another Android phone if I need that OS for something specific :p.

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I am not the Originating Poster of this thread. I just wished to comment that the Note 3 I played with was also on Verizon the same as my S5.

And, my "play time" was actually pretty short. Riding as a passenger in a truck and installing MacroDroid for my friend so that his battery life would be better. He was really impressed that I am getting 2 and 3 days per charge. I need to talk with him tomorrow to see if he has noticed any improvement since I put the MacroDroid app on to kill the internet when he is not using the Note 3.

As a 20 year Verizon user who switched to Verizon after going thru all of the other "also rans" of that era, I have never found or talked to anyone since using any carrier that gives as good of service quality as Verizon. Yes, it costs me a bit more per month, but the phone works all the time 99.3 percent of the time. Occasionally I get into an extremely rural area where it displays 1x signal. of course when that happens, bye bye to the internet.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.