1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S5 screen turns off, won't come on w/o twice removing battery,15 secs wait then 3 button reboot.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wagonchuck, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Wagonchuck

Wagonchuck Lurker

I like my Sprint S5 simplicity, familiarity, no-glass screen; however, a year ago, it increasingly wouldn't again turn on w/o accessing Recovery menu , Wipe Cache , then reboot. Worsened last 3 months: when screen turns off, won't come on w/o once, now twice, removing battery,wait 15 secs, reinstall batt for 3 button reboot . I then hear restart Sprint sound and see nothing. After top blue dot goes out, I press Power, wait 5 seconds, then press bottom-of-screen button, wait 5 seconds, repeat this 4-5 times until brief flashes appear as S5 struggles to a visable screen. Use finger pattern then all apps r ok.

Corrupted? Hardware failing?
    Yes? I'm just about ready to upgrade to S8 or S8. Tired of hastles, danger of no calling out when reboots fail.

S5 screen only stays on with repeated Gallery screenshows, vidoes, Maps in moving car. After 5-10 mins of no screen movement, phone goes down. Must repeat whole process.
    Thanks for reading, responding to new forum member.

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Hi Wagonchuck and welcome to Android Forums!

I am assuming that you have had the battery checked out... although this does not sound like a battery issue.

The Galaxy S5, ***G900P, is now almost 5 years old but keeps on going. It has not been updated since May 2017, here.

It might be time for you to give the old girl a clear out and back up everything and do a Factory Data Reset, (FDR), from Settings and do a fresh restore of apps and settings and check it out. You may be surprised at how much space you gain and will probably speed up the performance.

Alternatively, you could download and re-install your firmware using the Odin3 PC suite without wiping anything by following my earlier link and the instructions that are on the download page.

Personally, I would bite the bullet and go for option #1. That way, if you still experience any issues, you will know it is not down to your apps and settings.

***Check your model as per #1.2 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

3. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

My second S5 bit the dust, last week, with the same type issues.
    First died under similar conditions in 2017. Saved all my things on a spare Motorola, until I decide what's next in line.

Hope you can figure out how to fix yours, before it's too late.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews