1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

S5 versus M8 Radio Reception

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by neil154, Sep 29, 2014.

1. neil154

neil154 Android Enthusiast

I have seen some people complaining about the radio reception of the S5. I will be upgrading in a short time and want to know how the signal strength of the S5 compare with the HTC One M8. Please give me your real world experience with radio signal strength.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Tlicious1020

Tlicious1020 Android Enthusiast

No problems with the M8 radios. Lots of factors play into radio reception though like the network you are on. Rain can even play a role with reception. Your reception depending on your carrier is typically 2 miles from the tower. Sprint for example has newer equipment that can go out from 4-6 miles.

3. neil154

Thanks and I don't disagree with what you say. I was hoping that some people have used both the M8 and the S3 and would be able to comment on the relative strengths

4. Tlicious1020

Sorry, I'm an HTC guy for life. And my honest opinion is that the radio technology is about the same. Samsung is a Korean company and I think most of Korea runs on a CDMA network. And HTC is based out of Taiwan. The difference is HTC optimizes Sense for Kit Kat better than Samsung does for Touchwiz. And Samsung packs far more features into a phone than HTC. Depends on what you want as a customer. We can list stuff all day long but I think those are the biggest differences. Besides aluminum vs plastic.

5. neil154

I appreciate your information. I am familiar with the features of each and the interface is really not an issue since I use Go Launcher. In my case if the radio reception is essentially the same I am leaning towards the S5 since I like a removable battery.

6. Tlicious1020

I don't think you need a removable battery. Samsung phones charge fast and from what I've read Kit Kat doesn't crash but 0.7% of the time compared to Apple's 1.7%. I think the days of carrying a spare battery are going to die because both phones get great battery life.

7. neil154

Even now with my S3 I rarely need a spare battery but when I get in some areas (presumably poor reception areas) my battery can drain to almost nothing in hours

8. Tlicious1020

I work in a building without very thick cement walls. The M8 handles lack of reception pretty well in my opinion. I went to Atlanta for simulator training and I was shocked to see what it's like for a phone to have reception for 8 hours straight unlike when I'm at work. The battery life is even better.

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews