• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S5 versus M8 Radio Reception

Sorry, I'm an HTC guy for life. And my honest opinion is that the radio technology is about the same. Samsung is a Korean company and I think most of Korea runs on a CDMA network. And HTC is based out of Taiwan. The difference is HTC optimizes Sense for Kit Kat better than Samsung does for Touchwiz. And Samsung packs far more features into a phone than HTC. Depends on what you want as a customer. We can list stuff all day long but I think those are the biggest differences. Besides aluminum vs plastic.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your information. I am familiar with the features of each and the interface is really not an issue since I use Go Launcher. In my case if the radio reception is essentially the same I am leaning towards the S5 since I like a removable battery.

I don't think you need a removable battery. Samsung phones charge fast and from what I've read Kit Kat doesn't crash but 0.7% of the time compared to Apple's 1.7%. I think the days of carrying a spare battery are going to die because both phones get great battery life.

Upvote 0
Even now with my S3 I rarely need a spare battery but when I get in some areas (presumably poor reception areas) my battery can drain to almost nothing in hours

I work in a building without very thick cement walls. The M8 handles lack of reception pretty well in my opinion. I went to Atlanta for simulator training and I was shocked to see what it's like for a phone to have reception for 8 hours straight unlike when I'm at work. The battery life is even better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones