• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help s5 water damage

PammyCakes

Lurker
Oct 1, 2014
I dropped my S5 in the hot tub last night! It worked afterwards and I forgot to plug it in last night, so it was dead this morning. Now it won't charge. I took off the back case and battery and there's no moisture inside that I can see. It's resting in a bag of rice now.

Has anyone successfully brought their S5 back to life after water damage?

I was pushed in a pool while on vacation in Vegas. The bottom charging port cover was not secured as tight as it could have been. The phone was wacky for about three days. It would back to the home screen when I was on Facebook or any other app or website. Then that cleared up and the volume would not work, then that cleared up. Now I have water marks under the screen. So things worked out, even without the rice.

Upvote 0
I dropped my S5 in the hot tub last night! It worked afterwards and I forgot to plug it in last night, so it was dead this morning. Now it won't charge. I took off the back case and battery and there's no moisture inside that I can see. It's resting in a bag of rice now.

Has anyone successfully brought their S5 back to life after water damage?

Did you remove the back and the battery before placing in the bag of rice?

If you don't, it makes it very difficult to remove moisture from the phone.

I highly recommend leaving it in the bag of rice for about 3 days.
If the rice has been opened and used before, get new rice, or put the rice in an oven at 120 degrees and bake until the moisture is gone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones