• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 BATTERY OVERRATED?

twodroid

Lurker
Jun 3, 2022
Just got the galaxy s7 phone that had rave reviews about its battery life, yet, with in a few minutes of regular use, several percentage points have dropped. It's a refurbished.

The last phone I had was a much cheaper moto e, and i. do. not, notice the 'big difference'. 24h? Did they mean on sleep? What could it be, btw bat was 33% at the start of writing, is now 27% (only two apps running).

I think what this really tells you is that your refurb is not equivalent to a new phone back in 2016, when the reviews were written.

The question is really what did "refurbishment" mean for the battery? They may have just done a quick capacity check and said "that'll do": for example in the UK Amazon "refurbished" devices are guaranteed to have "at least 80%" of the original capacity, but actually if the capacity has dropped to 80% the battery has had a lot of wear (more than it sounds: in my experience phone batteries that report 75% capacity are on the verge of failure). Or they may have replaced it with a third party battery, whose performance will depend on how much they valued finding a good battery vs maximising their profits, assuming there's much choice of parts for a 6 year old phone in the first place. Perhaps the worst option would be if they fitted a "new" OEM battery, because those won't have been made for 5 years and batteries degrade when left on a shelf that long.

So yes, discharging that fast is not good. If you have any right to return the phone (e.g. some countries' distance selling laws mean you have an automatic right to do so for goods sold via mail order within some period after they arrive) then you might want to consider that. But buying a phone of that age, even "refurbished", does carry the risk of reduced battery life.

Upvote 0
^^^^^this^^^^^^

phone's this old will always have battery issues.....even if it was brand new out of the box. this phone was made in 2016. if no one bought this phone, then that means it was sitting on a shelf for this entire time. the battery in the phone will slowly discharge over time until it is depleted. after that it will always have charging issues. it will always drain faster. even if you found a replacement battery. those batteries are probably not being made anymore as well. there really is no demand for such batteries given how old the phone is....so...those replacement batteries will also be sitting on a shelf somewhere discharging over time. they will have the same issues as the phone.

so i am not surprised you are having issues with the phone. hopefully you did not pay much for it. i would look into getting a newer phone. there are plenty of decent newer budget phones out there, that will have better performance and battery life than the s7.

Upvote 0
When they reviewed the phone it was on Android Marshmallow .
Not sure I see your point? Marshmallow did absolutely nothing for my htc evo as far as battery life at the time. Not sure if anybody was saying back then that marshmallow was amazing at keeping a good battery life.

The point is this thread is that in 2022, the batteries made for this phone are all old now. Older batteries will loose their battery life even when it is off doing nothing. Also they are not making new batteries for the s7 anymore.

Upvote 0
Not sure I see your point? Marshmallow did absolutely nothing for my htc evo as far as battery life at the time. Not sure if anybody was saying back then that marshmallow was amazing at keeping a good battery life.

The point is this thread is that in 2022, the batteries made for this phone are all old now. Older batteries will loose their battery life even when it is off doing nothing. Also they are not making new batteries for the s7 anymore.
Because that's what the phone came with and battery optimizations Samsung made with the S7 that lead to the praise for the battery life back then.

Upvote 0
Because that's what the phone came with and battery optimizations Samsung made with the S7 that lead to the praise for the battery life back then.
yeah but again, its from back then. the issue is using the s7 in 2022. no matter how good the os was back in the day, the battery life will not be the same now.

Upvote 0
yeah but again, its from back then. the issue is using the s7 in 2022. no matter how good the os was back in the day, the battery life will not be the same now.
Well obviously won't be as good because unless the refurbished is from Samsung you have no idea where they sourced a replacement battery and when they do these tests background sync is disabled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones