• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 - changing SD card = reinstalling all apps installed on the old one

peterh337

Android Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2015
The way the OS works is that - for most apps - all references in the file system to the SD card use the volume label e.g. 334D-55FC.

If you change the SD card (e.g. I went from 64GB to 200GB) the volume label changes, and anything installed on the card, plus anything installed in main memory which references the SD card, stops working.

For example Tomtom won't start (and I am not talking about the TT startup bug - that is related to the All-Europe database file, mainly). You have to uninstall it and reinstall it with the new card in place.

The Quickpic image viewer does the same thing.

I have tried to rename the volume label of the new card to be the same as the old one but that doesn't do it. The OS seems to use a volume serial number.

A strange system!

The problem I have with Quickpic is that it "loses" some of the image directory paths.

There is some subtle procedure in making it not lose them but it seems elusive :)

I think the best way to add directory paths is under Settings / Browse / Included Folders and then use the + symbol to add them. Then you MUST leave that dialog using the left pointing arrow at top left. The other method, using the three dots in top right and Add loses the added directories when the app terminates.

But regardless of how you do it, it loses an image directory if that directory becomes empty. You have to leave at least one image in each. Really dumb!

The issue seems worse with the new 200GB SD card.

But anyway this is not a Quickpic support forum :)

Upvote 0
OK; that is a cunning approach. It takes care of the volume serial label issue.

But it won't help with an app installed on the internal storage which references SD card data - e.g. a image library viewer, music player, video player.

Tomtom gets completely screwed up. You have to uninstall, and re-download the whole ~6GB.

Not a big deal. I posted the OP as a heads-up for anybody with an S7. Put in the biggest SD card at the start :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones