• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 Edge crashes caused by Google Photos Collage

K Leo

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I have been using my S7 Edge for about a year, and it has been updated to the latest firmware and apps.

The first crash of the S7 Edge happened more than a month ago. It happened when I was viewing my photos with Google Photos. It went completely dead. Even the boot loader had some error. So I had to have it flashed with a new firmware. A couple days ago, the same thing happened again. But this time I tried with some force starts and cache wipe-outs, it came back. But still it kept crashing when I use Google Photos or even Gallery to access my photos. I deleted the caches and the data of the two apps, but it still wouldn't eliminate the crashes.

What did I do before the crashes happened? The only thing major is that I copied all of my photos to my Mac, and removed the Camera folder thereafter, both with Android File Transfer program on the Mac.

But I had done the same before and had not had any problems. So what's been different during these couple of months? The only thing I did that I hadn't done before is that I had some collages created with Google Photos. These collage files resided in the Google Photos folder. Deleting Google Photos' data does not get them deleted. Of course another thing different is that the firmware got updated.

How to get rid of the crashes? I manually removed the Google Photos folder (that contained the collage files), and the phone becomes stable.

I don't know why it happens, but it appears the collage files are linked with the original photos that no longer exist, so memory becomes corrupted which then causes the system to crash.

I think this is more of a bug of Samsung's firmware. I hope this brings their attention to fix it.

The way to re-created the problem is as follows: (This is basically what happened in my cases, but I am not going to further test this on my phone. I hope someone with a spare phone or some QA engineer at Samsung could test this.)

1) Create some collages with Google Photos.

2) Remove the Camera folder with Android File Transfer. (I can't say whether removing the folder with My Files app would cause the same problem).

3) Start Google Photos or Gallery and review or edit some photos. Note that the crash does not happen immediately after removing the Camera folder. The odds of a crash may be larger, I guess, when the folder contained a lot of photos.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones