1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General S7 Edge File System

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Paul Cooper, May 26, 2016.

1. Paul Cooper

Paul Cooper Lurker
    None

May 17, 2016
    Male
    retired
    Hi Gang,
    Just got my S7 and want to understand the file system much like I understand where things are located on my PC and why.
    I'm not interested in rooting my phone before I even understand how it works.
    Where do I go or what book should I look for to understand how things are organized?
    I'd rather ask my silly questions here before acting out of ignorance and blowing up my phone.
    Best regards to all.
    Coop

Advertisement

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Install a file explorer (like Solid Explorer) and it will let you browse your files, and see the folder structure.

Snakeyeskm likes this.
  3. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    ES File Explorer Pro is another excellent alternative.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    ES file explorer ha a lot of bad ads. Besides, you already have My Files app built in. Why bother with another?

lunatic59 and jj14x like this.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Paul Cooper and jj14x like this.
  6. peterh337

peterh337 Android Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2015
    Male
    I use Root Explorer. It works well even on non-rooted devices.

My Files is rubbish - made for low IQ users ;)

Paul Cooper likes this.
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    If it's simple and does the job and you don't need the other stuff that other third party apps want, then why bother. I don't see how IQ has anything to do with it. IOS is pretty rubbish in my opinion but I can bet a lot of high IQ people use it. And there was a time when My Files was the only app able to write to SD card, and not even Root Explorer could, with the whole KitKat fiasco.

TanyaMac likes this.
  8. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    While My Files is built-in and serves many typical file Explorer functions, if someone truly wants to explore the file system, more sophisticated explorers definitely enhance the process.

Each person has their own preferences (thank God) and I personally like ES file Explorer Pro. (Incidentally the Pro version does not have any ads)

#8 Snakeyeskm, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    TanyaMac likes this.
  9. Paul Cooper

Paul Cooper Lurker
    None

May 17, 2016
    Male
    retired
    I want to thank everyone who offered tips and links for further research.
    Since I'm going to be using Android going forward I want to learn how to work with it.
    I'm testing a few apps similar to what I was using with Apple and wonder if programs are assigned to specific directories like a PC, ie: Program Files and Program Files (x86) or is it more random?
    When I uninstall a program are bits and pieces left scattered everywhere?
    Thanks again for helping a n00b.
    Coop

10. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    One key tip: – avoid like the plague, apps that claim to clean, boost RAM etc. They are practically all unnecessary garbage and actually do damage rather than help. Android is amazingly efficient in operation and in the uninstallation process. Cleaning out the system cache occasionally is the most you really need to do.

Paul Cooper likes this.
  11. Paul Cooper

Paul Cooper Lurker
    None

May 17, 2016
    Male
    retired
    I've been using CCleaner for a long time. Do you include it in your list of unnecessary apps?

12. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    CCleaner is cool.

13. Paul Cooper

Paul Cooper Lurker
    None

May 17, 2016
    Male
    retired
    Is there some particular book, manual or web site that a n00b would benifit from?
    I'm a couple weeks into using Android and I'm in need of research material.
    I'm getting to understand the options available ie getting the hang of disabling annoying notifications.
    I want to learn the tips and tricks without having to go through the usual months of trial, error and screw-up.
    I never did like going it alone when I could get an experienced friend to lend advice.
    Best regards.
    Coop

14. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    There are many good books on android available by Amazon including "Amazon for dummies" (written for me). Just make sure that they are current on Marshmallow. However, you might be better off downloading the manual on the Galaxy S7 on this forum stickies and stepping through the different pages with your S7 in hand. This will give you a far better idea of how to manage your phone in particular and exploit its many features. Once you have done that, I would consider investigating apps like Tasker and MacroDroid that allow you to write macros that further exploit the flexibility of android. Keep in mind different manufacturers adapt android for their specific phones while loading in unnecessary bloatware.

Paul Cooper likes this.
  15. Paul Cooper

Paul Cooper Lurker
    None

May 17, 2016
    Male
    retired
    Any hints on what bloatware AT&T might have foisted on me?
    I wouldn't mind making its removal my next priority.
    I'm going to miss Advanced Uninstaller Pro from my PC as it monitors installations and is able to get rid of the myriad little bytes and pieces that programs leave scattered around, especially in the registry.
    Does Android have a equivalent program or is the default uninstaller adequate?
    I download the Samsung user manual to my phone and will keep it open to reference as you suggested. Maybe create a quick launch button on the HomeScreen?
    I like the idea of being able to write a few macros. They've always been helpful in preforming nightly maintenance duties prior to shutdown, thanks for the tip.
    I'll head on over to Amazon and take a look at the "For Dummies" book.
    Thanks you again for your invaluable advice.

#15 Paul Cooper, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  16. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Try EZ Disabler app on Google play. It allows you to disable most bloatware plus other apps. Be selective with its use and don't use the "disable all "options. If you tap on the apps shown within that program it will give you some idea of each of their functions.

Paul Cooper likes this.
  17. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    AT&T has really lightened up on the bloat in recent years. Most of what is seen lately isn't even installed on the phone, but downloaded at first boot. Anything installed this way can be uninstalled as opposed to apps baked into the OS. Also AT&T is pretty obvious about branding their apps, so it's easy to identify them.

Go easy on the uninstalling and disabling in the beginning. You can easily disable a shared system process and all of a sudden you have no updates or WiFi won't connect or you can't receive MMS messages, etc. We see this sort of thing every day and often times simply reinstalling or re-enabling won't fix it. You'll have to perform a full factory reset. If you're rooted and you start deleting, make sure you have a complete backup of EVERYTHING or you could find yourself searching for stock firmware in the wee hours of the morning, hoping you can get your phone working again before you have to go to work.

Paul Cooper likes this.
  18. Paul Cooper

Paul Cooper Lurker
    None

May 17, 2016
    Male
    retired
    Thanks for the advise.
    Fear of blowing up my phone prevents me from rooting or going too far toward the dark side until I've done my research.
    I'll still probably screw the pooch at some point just because I'm a tinkerer but I try to go into things with some idea of what I hope to accomplish.
    Again, many thanks for helping bringing me up to speed and moving me forward.
    It would have been a lot harder without everyone's generous advice.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge launched in 2016 and was one of two of Samsung's flagship devices. The S7 Edge features a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 323GB of storage, and 12MP main camera sensor.