1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General S7 Edge Random Restarts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nick The Great, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Nick The Great

Nick The Great Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    Anyone having any random restarts with their phone? My S7E has done it 2 or 3 times now. I got it Monday afternoon.

I had this issue once with my HTC Incredible back in the day, and it ended up requiring a new phone.

I'm seeing some stuff to do a factory reset, but I hate doing that, since I just got this thing to the point where I like it.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Have you installed any "Battery Saver/Optimizer" apps ?
    If so,there's your culprit.

3. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    I have not. I do have Tasker, but I don't have any tasks that involve anything like that.

KOLIO likes this.
  4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    My only other recommendations include Safe Mode/process of elimination & a factory reset,to which I'd manually install everything, instead of using any data/app backup tools.....

bcrichster and Nick The Great like this.
  5. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks . . . I guess. A small part of me wants to utilize my 14-day return window to Best Buy.

But I guess a reset is in my future, I knew that Smart Switch was too easy. Have only have had the dang thing for about 45 hours.

KOLIO likes this.
  6. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Corrupted apps can frequently cause the issue you're experiencing. Possibly Smart Switch did not transfer them properly. Before taking drastic measures tried disabling in application manager as many apps as possible at a time to try and identify a possibly misbehaving app.
    As a precaution I have always cleared the cache on the sending phone before using Smart Switch. You never know.

If that doesn't work, you could have corrupted OS or firmware or a loose battery connection. and in that case make sure the 14 days to not pass by.

Are you using a wireless charging pad? They tend to overheat the phones specially if there is a case involved and sometimes when there is no case.

bcrichster, Nick The Great and KOLIO like this.
  7. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks for the advice. I told myself to do a clean, new install of everything, but I ended up not. It's not a consistent enough behavior to really be able to isolate apps, but I'm going to try before I wipe it.

No wireless charging, but I did notice it was getting very hot yesterday, right under the power switch, on the back. Just web browsing, but the screen was on for a hour or two. Not scalding hot, but hotter than a brand new phone should be.

8. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    So on Friday I did the factory data reset, and only installed a handful of apps. From scratch, no Smart Switch or whatever.

Still get the restarts. Once Friday night, once Saturday, twice yesterday, once today.

Gonna find my receipt and go visit Best Buy. Hopefully it's just this phone, and not a widespread thing. My wife's has been fine, though she doesn't do much heavy lifting with it.

9. t sport 1978

t sport 1978 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Mine has done this a few times on an outing in a tightish pocket, the power button seems to be very easily pressed. Just a thought.

10. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    I could see that. Unfortunately, mine does this sitting on a desk or a nightstand.

With as many electronics as I've purchased in my life, I'm bound to get a lemon occasionally, I guess.

expresiva likes this.
  11. sincarafan

sincarafan Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 20, 2013
    Male
    Port Richey, FL
    Mine and my wifes have been working good so far. Sucks you got a lemon, but it's a good thing it's happening now where you can get a replacement and not later making you have to deal with the grief of Samsung's support.

Nick The Great likes this.
  12. expresiva

expresiva Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Mine restarts randomly once or twice a day (maybe more that I don't even notice) as well. I don't have any battery saving apps on it. So far the only reason that I'm not losing my mind over it is that the restart is so incredibly quick. I'm sure it'll annoy me if it ever does it during a phone call, but I maybe make one of those a month, lol.

13. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    I wouldn't be so concerned about it, but it restarts at night and I lose my baby monitor. Every night except last night and Saturday night, it has done this. My wife has her phone on too, so we have a backup. And the baby sleeps quite well! ;)

I'm headed back to Bestbuy soon. They want the Samsung guy to look at it, and if he can't "fix" it, they'll let me exchange. :)

14. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    If your avatar is any indication, they wouldn't dare mess with you. Best of luck

15. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    Well called Best Buy, was told the Samsung rep would look at it, and if no fix, they'd swap it. I explicitly asked if they had S7E's in stock and he said that they did.

Samsung rep hadn't seen anything like this before, and his little Samsung chat circle hadn't either. His conclusion was that the battery is perhaps loose inside, and sporadically losing the connection. Makes sense.

BUT they do not have any phones in stock. Not surprising, but irritating since I asked on the phone if they did. So my options are to send to Samsung for repair, submit warranty through Geeksquad and get a refurb, or return the phone, and purchase when they get stock again.

This phone is too new for the first two options for me, so I'm returning. Which I couldn't do yesterday since I didn't bring the box and all that jazz, since I was told I didn't need to. Crappy part is that the Gear VR and SD Card have to go back too. And that promo will likely be over before I get the new phone again. :mad:

16. jason359

jason359 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 13, 2016
    Male
    wow. I feel for ya man.

17. PompeyFCUK

PompeyFCUK Newbie
    None

Mar 11, 2016
    Male
    interesting someone mentioned the power button its way to sensitive any more than touch and it brings up the power off option on mine

18. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    So I went back to Best Buy on Friday afternoon, and they told me that they'll let me hang on to the phone until replacements show up, whenever that is. Knowing full well this is outside the 14-day return window. They wouldn't give me that in writing, but I'm hoping I can trust them. :D

I wish they'd told me that the other day, would have saved me skipping work early, and 40 minutes of driving, but . . . o_O

That being said, I haven't had that much restarting (and better battery) since the software update I did Saturday night.

19. Joe Eris

Joe Eris Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Male
    Logistics
    Riverside CA
    I recently began having this same issue with my S5 which is what led to me trading it in for the S7 I can tell you that it was not an issue with a loose battery because I had four different spare batteries for my S5 the restarting would often happen as soon as I replaced a battery. also in addition to getting the random restarts it would also go into boot loop. Initially I thought it was the aftermarket Zero Lemon batteries I had been using this was not the case because I complain to ZeroLemon they sent me to new batteries it happened with those as well and it also happened with the stock battery. Good luck hope everything works out

20. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    That makes sense, Joe. I suppose it could be any number of issues from the battery connection, or some sort of capacitor going bad, or even a bad solder elsewhere.

I haven't had a restart since Saturday, which is the longest I've gone with this phone now. I'm hoping the software update maybe fixed something, but I'm still going to swap when I get the chance.

21. Yesevil

Yesevil Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2012
    Male
    Security Guard
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I had the same issue with my S7, random restarts for no reason. Took mine back to CPW and they swapped the handset straight away, 13 days old. Luckily it's 28 days for returns or replacements in the UK.
    Hope you get yours sorted dude.

22. recDNA

recDNA Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Extended battery does make my note 3 have restarts

23. Nick The Great

None

Jun 3, 2010
    Iowa
    So I got the new phone this afternoon. Just a simple Sim swap and 5 minutes of time.

Fingers crossed for this one!

KOLIO likes this.
  24. Stenny

Stenny Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2016
    Male
    I've been having this issue also. I have tried to contact my carrier and they seem to "have never heard of this issue before." Option was to get an insurance claim which I would have to pay money on bc of a defective phone, I guess.

I have seen these helpful hints and like Nick said, if I delete an app and see if it helps is kind of a hit and miss. For the fact that it doesn't happen all day long everyday.

To where my issue is, it seems to be constantly doing this to me for about 4 hours or more in a span of every 3 minutes. So far typing all this, my phone has reset 4 times. Its not like the phone goes to sleep and I just have to swipe to open it back up. I use a fingerprint to unlock, when this reset happens, it asks me to enter my 4 digit security PIN since my phone restarted. It doesn't completely cut off, it just goes to the lock screen (and also lags really, really bad) and enter my PIN instead of my fingerprint.

I'm completely at a loss and don't want to pay for a claim on a phone when I haven't damaged it.

Screenshot_20160817-105042.png

25. RocketFoot

RocketFoot Well-Known Member
    None

My S7 Edge is doing random restarts as well...seems like once a day. I do use the auto restart function but I have it set to restart once a week on Wednesday nights at 2am. That seems to work as expected but what about the other daily restarts?

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge launched in 2016 and was one of two of Samsung's flagship devices. The S7 Edge features a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 323GB of storage, and 12MP main camera sensor.