1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General S7 edge with PDA.net

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by elliebear, Mar 2, 2016.

1. elliebear

elliebear Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Does anyone know if the new Samsung will be compatible with the PDA/Foxfi wifi app? Right now I use it successfully with my LG G3 which recently upgraded to Marshmallow. I really want this new phone however we kind of depend on the wifi app and I don't want to upgrade unless I know it'll still work. Anyone else use this and have any idea?

Advertisement

2. rkkeller

rkkeller Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    The Dog Pound.
    If your on Verizon, it should work, other carriers no. It supports all other Sx phones so I think it will work on the S7 too.

======WiFi Mode==========

Due to lockdowns through each phone system update, WiFi mode will only be allowed on a short list of compatible devices. IN GENERAL:
    ---Verizon Samsung phones (S3/4/5/6/Edge, Note 2/3/4/5), Verizon LG phones (G2/G3/G4) and Verizon Sony phones (Z3) are supported by all Android versions including Android 5.0/5.1.
    ---Verizon HTC phones (M7/8/DNA) will only work on Android 4.1 ~ 4.4.
    ---Verizon Motorola phones will only work on Android 4.3 or below.
    ---AT&T Samsung phones will only work on Android 4.2 or below.
    ---Other carriers/phones will only work if they still have Android 4.0 or below.
    ---Straight Talk phones will only work if it uses Verizon and are compatible with the above.
    ---For all other phones, use USB mode or Bluetooth mode instead.

3. Kingme

Kingme Lurker
    None

Mar 9, 2016
    Male
    So I was watching this thread pretty closely. It was one of my big questions as well. I got my edge from Verizon today and it works! I'm actually using the wifi from foxfi to write this up right now. I didn't have to do anything fancy, google downloaded all the apps from my S4, clicked it and everything worked as before!

4. BillArf

BillArf Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    Upstate NY & Florida
    Yes, it works. I tested yesterday with an S7.

5. jack58

jack58 Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Photography, Computers
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm picking up my new S7 Edge today and one of first thing I will do is install the PDA/Foxfi wifi app.
    I have used it for several years now on several Samsung phones and it has always worked flawlessly... don't expect that to change.

6. BillArf

BillArf Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    Upstate NY & Florida
    As a beta tester of the app (FireFox and on) for years now, I can tell you that you can't take for granted that the app will work with a specific phone.. with a specific mobile operating system (OS). It is always prudent to ask if the app works with a certain smartphone and certain OS before you move to that phone... unless you are not caring that you use the ability to use the app. In closing, the OP was wise to ask before he took the plunge to the S7.

7. jack58

jack58 Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Male
    Photography, Computers
    Tacoma, WA
    As I said... I knew it would work fine on the S7 as I just tried it. ;)

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge launched in 2016 and was one of two of Samsung's flagship devices. The S7 Edge features a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 323GB of storage, and 12MP main camera sensor.