• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 edge with PDA.net

elliebear

Lurker
Jul 22, 2010
Does anyone know if the new Samsung will be compatible with the PDA/Foxfi wifi app? Right now I use it successfully with my LG G3 which recently upgraded to Marshmallow. I really want this new phone however we kind of depend on the wifi app and I don't want to upgrade unless I know it'll still work. Anyone else use this and have any idea?

If your on Verizon, it should work, other carriers no. It supports all other Sx phones so I think it will work on the S7 too.

======WiFi Mode==========

Due to lockdowns through each phone system update, WiFi mode will only be allowed on a short list of compatible devices. IN GENERAL:
---Verizon Samsung phones (S3/4/5/6/Edge, Note 2/3/4/5), Verizon LG phones (G2/G3/G4) and Verizon Sony phones (Z3) are supported by all Android versions including Android 5.0/5.1.
---Verizon HTC phones (M7/8/DNA) will only work on Android 4.1 ~ 4.4.
---Verizon Motorola phones will only work on Android 4.3 or below.
---AT&T Samsung phones will only work on Android 4.2 or below.
---Other carriers/phones will only work if they still have Android 4.0 or below.
---Straight Talk phones will only work if it uses Verizon and are compatible with the above.
---For all other phones, use USB mode or Bluetooth mode instead.

Upvote 0
So I was watching this thread pretty closely. It was one of my big questions as well. I got my edge from Verizon today and it works! I'm actually using the wifi from foxfi to write this up right now. I didn't have to do anything fancy, google downloaded all the apps from my S4, clicked it and everything worked as before!

Upvote 0
I'm picking up my new S7 Edge today and one of first thing I will do is install the PDA/Foxfi wifi app.
I have used it for several years now on several Samsung phones and it has always worked flawlessly... don't expect that to change.

As a beta tester of the app (FireFox and on) for years now, I can tell you that you can't take for granted that the app will work with a specific phone.. with a specific mobile operating system (OS). It is always prudent to ask if the app works with a certain smartphone and certain OS before you move to that phone... unless you are not caring that you use the ability to use the app. In closing, the OP was wise to ask before he took the plunge to the S7.

Upvote 0
As a beta tester of the app (FireFox and on) for years now, I can tell you that you can't take for granted that the app will work with a specific phone.. with a specific mobile operating system (OS). It is always prudent to ask if the app works with a certain smartphone and certain OS before you move to that phone... unless you are not caring that you use the ability to use the app. In closing, the OP was wise to ask before he took the plunge to the S7.
As I said... I knew it would work fine on the S7 as I just tried it. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones