• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 gets update, then overheats!?

NAVCUB

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
It's my old phone, I'm combing through it to get all my codes off it. It was last used over a week ago (0% battery)
I plug it in with just a USB outlet to charge it at my desk. I did not use a wall outlet.
It was charged up to 70% on the screen, I was able to hit the center finger-print button to start up the screen.

It did an update TODAY while it was charging.

I swipe and do some business. I then unplug phone, screen blacks out. OH..i did not turn it on.

I then proceed to hold in the start button, nothing, then I noticed it had a hot spot around the charger...I kinda expect this sometimes and just give it a minute to cool down...15 seconds later..unplugged, it's getting HOTTER?!!?
Now the heated section is climbing up to the camera and the hot-spot is too hot to the touch!
I take it outside..put it on the cold cement. (50 degrees Fahrenheit outside) I come back in a minute and it's feeling like it's cooling down finally.

I cannot power it on.
I held the power and LOW Volumune key down for 15+ seconds and nothing. I read to hold it down for longer, i Did for 50 seconds. No change. I have re -plugged it in..same set-up..and i get the charging lightening bolt and nothing else. I get no percentage. It is not warm at all.

I would like to reuse it as a secondary device. I'm miffed that my S5 never did this that is still being used by a friend of mine.

UPDATE:
Looks like battery exploded..and FAST! within MINUTES!
20191014_163557m.jpg
20191014_163607m.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones