1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General S7 Headphone Issue? Only Sound In One Ear.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kghector, Mar 10, 2016.

1. kghector

kghector Lurker
    None

Mar 10, 2016
    Hi All

Anyone help me please? I got my S7 a couple days ago now pre release and everything was fine, been using my Gear VR that came with it just fine and be using headphones just fine. Last night all of a sudden, the audio in my right ear has cut out. The left is fine and is currently the only side thats working. Its definitely not my headphones before you asked, i have tried multiple headphones that i know are good and in perfect working order and again , audio in just the left side.

I have tried to see in accessability if the hearing was somehow shifted to left only but its smack dab in the middle. Tried doing a factory reset and it persisted through it.

Is my phone ****ed within 2 days of getting it?

I tried to phone my phone carrier up today and they are unable to issue a swap over until tomorrow sinces its not released yet which is understandable-

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Longshot, but try using compressed air on the female jack opening on your phone.

mikedt likes this.
  3. kghector

kghector Lurker
    None

Mar 10, 2016
    luckily i work in a engineering department with access to compressed air, just tried it and negative, no change

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    With the waterproofing features added to your S7 there are more extensive rubber seals around all its openings. Maybe that headphone jack needs a little more attention when it was blown out? Is there any kind of rubber flap inside?

5. kghector

kghector Lurker
    None

Mar 10, 2016
    @svim i have an inspection light and i have looked in the jack itself, i can see gold pins either side, also i see the bevel at the end which the headphone jack head fits into, i can see no debris nor can i see damage inside, however im not an expert with how the inside of a jack should look like

svim likes this.
  6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Snakeyeskm likes this.
  7. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Plug the jack in and out a few times. I've had this issue on a few phones. Keep trying and hopefully the sound returns back in both

8. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Have you tried other apps that have audio? Sometime that might be a problem.

9. tinypurplefox

tinypurplefox Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2016
    Female
    I have the exact same problem with my S7, it started only a month or so after I got it. I've done everything software wise to try and sort it, even completely restoring my phone. I've used compressed air and the headphone port itself looks fine.
    Sound works only through the left headphone, although the volume +/- and the pause button all work fine on the right headphone. I've also noticed that while I have headphones plugged in notifications are still played out of the speakers, however music etc is played though the headphones... confuuuuused.
    any help would be much appreciated!

:)

10. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    I'm not sure this will help, but worth a try.

Go to Settings/Sounds and vibration/Sound quality and effects.
    Scroll down and tap on Adapt sound.
    In the next window tap on Personalize sound and go through the setup.

11. harrumph

harrumph Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2016
    I'm having the exact same issue currently - were you able to figure this out at all?

12. tinypurplefox

tinypurplefox Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2016
    Female
    Nope, still not fixed.. I took my phone to O2 and they factory restored it (which I had already done) then said it'll need to be repaired as its probably a hardware fault. Luckily the S7 comes with a 2 year warranty.. Unluckily as my screen cracked they refused to repair it until I got the screen repaired. Pretty annoying as if you YouTube 'droptest s7' they seem pretty rigid, only dropped it less than 3 ft on laminate and it cracked the front and back

13. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Were the headphones plugged in when you dropped it?

14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Don't always believe YouTube videos!

15. tinypurplefox

tinypurplefox Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2016
    Female
    The headphone issue started before I dropped the phone, I dropped it within around a week of the headphone problem occurring. (which was about a month after I got the new phone)

*edit* also, no the headphones weren't plugged in when I dropped it.

16. dontpanicbobby

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Okay, I don't think it's hardware then.

17. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Its most definitely more likely to be a hardware issue, seeing as the OP has exhausted any software issues.

svim likes this.
  18. dontpanicbobby

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    The only reason I know that a headphone jack would loose one side is that a wire broke in the jack. But the OP is an engineer and used tools to inspect the jack and didn't find anything wrong.

Now that I think about it though.. the guys at PocketPCTechs said they had never seen anything like the damage I did to my devices headphone jack before they fixed it.

Did you by any chance get your cord wrapped around something and tugged it off?

19. tinypurplefox

tinypurplefox Lurker
    None

Sep 7, 2016
    Female
    When the problem first occurred from what I can remember the sound started dropping in and out of the right earphone, then I unplugged them, plugged them back in and they worked. This continued throughout the day until the right headphone would not play sound at all.. It seems slightly hard to believe it's a hardware issue seeing as the phone was brand new and the buttons on the right headphone work perfectly fine (including the mic) it's super annoying now, I'm using an old iPhone at the moment for music because I'm waiting to get my phones screen repaired to then get it repaired under warranty.. :(

20. Josiah Mangum

Josiah Mangum Lurker
    None

Nov 8, 2016
    Male
    This exact same thing has happened to my phone just the other day and none of the settings seemed to fix it. I would love to know how you get yours fixed.

21. Sj95

Sj95 Lurker
    None

Nov 8, 2016
    NY born ✈ FL raised
    I'm also having this same exact problem. I got my phone in September and after about a month, I was using my earphones and the right ear randomly stopped working. I've updated my phone, tried all sound settings, tried different headphones, using safe mode, different apps, litterally nothing works. I did notice I hear feedback when I plug in my earphones in both ears but only the left one plays sound. And when I insert the headphones maybe 3/4th of the way and twist It a bit, the sound plays out of both ears but obviously it won't stay like that.

I did buy my phone used "like new" from ebay but it honestly looked brand new, came in the retail box with all unopened accerories, matching serial numbers etc, I feel it was possibly an overstock item. So the phone shouldn't have had any prior issues, this is litterally my only issue I have with this phone. Everything else seems perfect

22. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Seems like multiple reports of same problem. Could be a factory production issue, like maybe cold solder connections on the headphone jack. Which should be under warranty. And Samsung seems to have had a few production issues recently.

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  23. Bovby DeVore

Bovby DeVore Lurker
    None

Nov 19, 2016
    Male
    Mine does the same thing too.

24. Lora Brinkman

Lora Brinkman Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2016
    Female
    Mine also started this about 2 weeks ago... no drops or previous issues. I'm going with software issue...

25. Baij Patel

Baij Patel Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2016
    Male
    Same here, was fine, happened recently, probably after a software update. Anyone communicated with Samsung about it?

26. Seekoo

Seekoo Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2017
    Hello folks i had the same problem suddenly just b4 yesterday and I tried everything to fix it with no luck so i decided it was a hardware issue . I took a sewing needle and started playing with the clips inside the headphone jack with no luck either for 2 days and today I found an xray image of the s7 edge and got an idea since the right channel doesnt work the problem must be either the right ear clip or the right ear ground ( the second and third clips of the jack ) i took the needle and with only one magic gentle bend outwardly to the second clip from the left side as phone faces you everything came back to work i will attach the image and hope this helps you
    20170224_230619.jpg images-48.jpg I

Samsung Galaxy S7

Samsung Galaxy S7