• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 or iPhone 7?

Ok, I was qualifying my answer on SD because it's not exactly equivalent to having more internal storage. As I see it SD if great for storing photos, video, music. But it's not a good solution for storing apps. So I'd always say buy a phone with enough internal storage for your app needs, then use SD for media. You can move apps to SD, but that's either a partial move (as with the S7) or involves encrypting the SD (making it only useful in that phone, so basically a slower and less reliable version of internal storage). So I personally prefer not to rely on moving apps to SD at all and just use it for media.

So yeah, if your concern is storing a lot of music, video, photos, then that's exactly what it's for.

As for inputs (@Xavier Black), nope, I've tried swipe and hate it. But I've been a touch typist since the 80s, so my background is probably very different, and that's why it's good to have choices. As for voice control, it's mainly that it's something I'd only want to do when I'm alone (it disturbs other people, and doesn't impress anyone any more) and I can usually type what I want with more precision than these assistant apps can interpret what I say (and faster). But that's the thing, different people have different needs and preferences, and what you really want is a system that can accommodate them all rather than expecting you to conform to what suits the corporation.

Upvote 0
I would not want a phone as big as Galaxy S8. S7 is max for me. Iphone 6/7 is a bit too small. (Galaxy S4 was perfect, not too tall, wider than iphone).

So on this storage thing, this external thingy remains in the phone and all your songs and videos are there and accessible at all times? Not concerned with apps.

Swype is crazy! I prefer regular typing, and like swiftkey over iphone keyboard. But I'm so much faster with voice texting (maybe because I'm 55 years old!) that I do that whenever possible. Yes, there are errors that need to be fixed, either by voice or typing, but it's still so much faster for me overall.

Speaking of keyboards and speaking, is it possible to have a dedicated microphone key on the Galaxy S7? Either comes that way, or via swiftkey or some third party keyboard? My iphone has one, and it's important to me. A friend of mine has some sort of swiftkey keyboard, and she must long press a key that shares space with a comma to access her mic. Takes longer, and harder for old eyes to see.

Upvote 0
Yeah, to confirm, the SD card can just remain in the phone full time (though you can remove it and stick it in a card reader if you want).

SwiftKey has a mic key which you activate with a long press on the comma key (you can choose how long "long" to suit yourself). GBoard puts at the right-hand end of the suggestions bar (so above the keys). Many if not most keyboards have them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones