1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support S7 Random Crashes

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Joe Eris, May 4, 2016.

1. Joe Eris

Joe Eris Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Male
    Logistics
    Riverside CA
    I have been experiencing random crashes and by crashes I mean that all apps suddenly stop at the same time. The app that I am currently using at the time of the crash also when I tap the recently used app button, it's empty as if I had hit "Clear all" my malware scanner scans my phone daily and finds no malware so I really don't know what else could be causing it. I've also recently wiped the partition cache. So..... Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Need to provide a little more information.
    When did this start?
    When you say partition cache, do you mean system cache?
    When you say all apps suddenly stop at the same time, do you mean you're running 2 apps on split screen?
    Or are you referring to the apps you are running just prior to the last app that freezes?
    Do you remember installing any apps before the symptoms started?
    As your system been updated recently?

3. Joe Eris

None

Mar 16, 2010
    Male
    Logistics
    Riverside CA
    It started about 2 weeks ago. Pretty sure it was partition cache. I booted into recovery mode and wiped partition cache about 3 weeks ago. When I say that all apps suddenly stop I mean the app that I am using (usually Web browser) dissappears and I get kicked back to my home screen. Then when I hit the recently used apps button to the left of the home button it shows no recently used apps when there should be lots of recently used apps. I do install new apps quite often, but I always scan them for malware.I don't think it's the Web browser either because I've tried 3 different Web browsers since this started and this still keeps happening. I'm currently using Chrome. And finally the most recent system update was on March 30.

4. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Apologize regarding partition versus system, different terms for the same thing.
    The fact that all prior running apps disappear, hints at a memory usage issue. Somehow, either your browser (I know you've tried 3 of them) or an existing app is bleeding your available memory to a point where it first closes all background apps (which incidentally utilize minimum memory to start with) and then shuts down your browser.
    Restart your phone, check your memory usage, start your browser and re-check your memory usage at regular intervals once you started your browser.

5. Joe Eris

None

Mar 16, 2010
    Male
    Logistics
    Riverside CA
    Ok, I will try that & report back. Thanks so much!

6. Joe Eris

None

Mar 16, 2010
    Male
    Logistics
    Riverside CA
    So I restarted my phone, checked my memory usage, opened the browser, and checked the memory at regular intervals. Strangely enough I actually gained memory as time went on. At 2:00 I had 21.25 gb used out of 32 then by 4:30 I had 21.23 used

7. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Well that rules out a browser memory leak. I presume your phone did not shut down your browser this time. The trick is trying to find out what combination of previously running apps and the browser result in the possible memory overflow, assuming that is the issue. The only thing I can suggest is keep checking your memory randomly. If you have a S7 edge, there is a RAM STATUS edge panel that will easily allow you to review your RAM status at any time.
    Hang in there.

8. Joe Eris

None

Mar 16, 2010
    Male
    Logistics
    Riverside CA
    Thanks, I have the S7 though. I'm currently downloading a software update so we'll see if that fixes things

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.