• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 VIDEO Quality Issues

Got my S7 edge late Friday night and took it to the beach to test out on Saturday.

I have to say, I'm taking it back if the issue I experienced isn't fixable.

The video in the link was filmed in FHD 60 FPS, and the issue is the 'color banding' or fragmentation visible in the color of the sky throughout the recordings. Instead of being a smooth backdrop, the colors of the sky frequently seem to fragment /group up and become blocky, almost like the video is poorly compressed. Particularly visible from 1:15 onwards.

I watched someone else's video sample online and it didn't seem to suffer the same issue. Ive had a look at the settings and can't seem to see anything that may cause this. Anyone have any ideas or similar issues?

A4HiH

Here you go, I took a screenshot, this kind of blockiness/artifacts are all over the sky and ocean.

http://share.pho.to/A4HiH/90/original

Upvote 0
I see it, but really is it that bad? The video overall looks really good, even with the utube compression/smoothing etc. I don't think its an issue, maybe just down to that location/the reflections/sun glare etc, mind you i don't get it at all when i did a quick vid outside on my edge, weather wasn't as sunny as where you were though.

Upvote 0
@Jinxii - I have seen more people complaining about this on these (and other) forums - seems to be something with the 1080HD 60FPS setting at least. I actually tried UHD and it was even worse - looks like 480p video. There's clearly something wrong with my device. Chatting to Samsung about it now.

@bIOforger - honestly, it really is that bad. For a top end device to be worse than my 2 year old Note Edge it is. I film video a lot, and I

Screenshot from 4K video directly screenshot on my device:

snynp2.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones