• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 won't update unless Play Store is open

Omahabob

Lurker
Feb 2, 2018
(Forgive me if this has been asked before. I couldn't locate it with a search)

My Galaxy S7 (not Edge) won't update any apps unless I have the Play Store open and on the screen. If the screen locks, the updates fail. If I switch apps, the updates fail. If I minimize the store app, the updates fail. I have to leave the store app open and keep touching the screen periodically to prevent it from locking in order for my apps to update. It started doing this several months back, probably after an update but I wasn't smart enough to note which one. Auto-update is on, and I've tried recycling that setting several times. I haven't been able to find any mention of someone else having this particular issue, here or anywhere else. Is it even possible to delete the Play Store app and re-install it?

I'm running Android Nougat 7.0, build G930VVRS4BRA1 and I'm not rooted.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones