1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

S8 connects to computer but I can't see files

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jlzibell, Oct 16, 2017.

1. jlzibell

jlzibell Member

May 2, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    I've searched this forum but can't find an answer. When I connect my S8 (AT&T) my phone appears in windows explorer, but I can't see any content. I was able to do this with my S5 and move/copy files. What do I need to do to correct this situation?

Advertisement

2. jlzibell

jlzibell Member

May 2, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    Sorry to have posted about this. While connected I woke up the phone and it asked if I wanted to allow access to data. I selected allow and all works now. Isn't it great when you solve your own issue? Just different enough from my S5 to be an issue for me. More like my old S2 where I had to select data mode.

El Presidente, Dannydet and lunatic59 like this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    What confused everybody was that with Android 6.0 and everything since, the default connection is 'charge only' and you have to manually select the data mode to see files via a USB connection. Manufacturers have started to include options to set that as default again, but that's caused so confusion.

4. fecallacies

fecallacies Guest
    None
    A lot of people have this issue that your computer can't see your devices files, but I believe it's an app on your device that's doing it.

I have a S8+ Dexing (now) and run this device lite all my files are on usb and there's not many 3rd party apps on this device and my windows 10 allows file access from the plug in.

Samsung Galaxy S8

Samsung Galaxy S8