• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S8 hangs up on me when making and receiving calls

Hello. I have an S8 that I purchased from Ebay. Everything worked fine when I got the phone last year (So it's not stolen or anything like that). About a week ago, my phone stopped allowing me to make calls or receive them. Here is what happens:

Incoming calls: My phone will ring. I will slide the green button to the right in order to answer the call. When I do that, the call immediately hangs up.

Outgoing calls: I dial the number. The phone rings. The other person answers to say hello, and the phone immediately hangs up before the other person says hello.

I had GVoice installed and I tried fully uninstalling it. Problem is still there.

I tried booting into safe mode. Problem is still there.

Phone is fully updated to G950USQS3CRE2 applied May 24th, 2018.

Advanced calling is turned off and Wifi calling is turned off.

Just wiped the cache partition as well.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Possibly it's become IMEI blacklisted, even after all this time. Suggest you check with your carrier or Check-mend, see if there's any outstanding issues associated with it, like a delinquent contract.

Quite possibly, although if the ESN or IMEI were blacklisted, I'm surprised it can connect to the network to ring in the first place.

Just a few things to test. Try your sim in a different phone ... and try a different sim in yours. That will determine if it's your phone or your carrier account that's cutting you off.

Upvote 0
The downloading arrow never lights up and I am unable to use the internet....

Oh. Then I fear Mike's right, it's been blocked by the carrier, or your sim's bad.

Sim's do go bad, so that might be it, or check with your carrier to make sure you haven't accidentally missed a payment or reached some sort of limit.

If it is blacklisted .... We see this far too often where someone buys a device -- eBay, craigslist, classifieds, FOT -- and the IMEI checks out. Then, after a few months it stops working. What happens is the seller picks up a device cheap by using a contract promotion, then turns around and sells it for a profit. Then they simply let the the contract default. At first everything is fine ... then a missed payment on the contract and the carrier marks them past due. It may take up to 30 days for them to suspend their service by deactivating the sim card and finally another 30 or 60 days before they blacklist the device. In the mean time the seller is long gone and the buyer is stuck. :(

Upvote 0
Just leaving the Verizon store. Been here for 1 1/2 hours. Verizon verified that ESN is good. The guy replaced the SIM and problem was not fixed. We called customer service and that guy tried a bunch of refresh acct type things. Didn't work. Was forwarded to pre-paid tech support and was told there was some sort of change that was done today that is causing this. I don't believe that since the problem started a week ago. They told me to call 888-294-6804 in 24 hours. They also credited me a free month of service.

I will update you all tomorrow.

I know how easy it is to read and not reply to a post. Thank you for your input!

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Was forwarded to pre-paid tech support and was told there was some sort of change that was done today that is causing this.

This translates into Store techs are idiots and can only do trained-monkey tasks. Online tech saw something in your account setup, checked the transactional logs and discovered is was someone at VZW that made a bonehead mistake and disabled services for you.

They also credited me a free month of service.

Their way of admitting guilt and apologizing.

So now everything magically works.

They gave you the 800 number to make you think that there was more information needed while they silently fixed their own error. One thing's for certain -- they'll never tell you what really happened. ;)

Reactions: tube517 and Kevin-B
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones