• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S8 on any us carrier

pwd847

May 1, 2012
Chicsgo, IL
I currently own a Galaxy S3. I am looking to buy an S8. The one I am looking at has the model number
Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U. Is it true that this phone will work on any US carrier? Back in the S3 days you had to buy either a GSM phone or a CDMA phone. I just want to make sure before I make this purchase.

Thanks.

According to that Ebay listing the exact model number is SM-G950UZVAVZW which is specifically for Verizon so theoretically it could be activated on VZW.

The caveat with buying a phone like this is 'buyer beware'. While I am in no way accusing the seller of nefarious practices, there is always the possibility that the phone will run into problems and the seller isn't around to deal with it.

Even if it comes with a "clean imei" it isn't always a guarantee that it will stay that way. For instance, the seller gets the phone under a contract and then turns around and sells it. The buyer successfully activates it, but then the original buyer does not fulfill the contract and VZW blacklists the imei. By that time the seller is long gone and the buyer is stuck with a non-working phone. It might also be possible that the device is a knock-off.

Here are two very big red flags for me.

"Returns: Seller does not offer returns."

and ...

"Will usually ship within 1 business day of receiving cleared payment."

From a technical standpoint, that model should work on VZW, the rest is up to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones