1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

sadly i returned my gnex

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by irony, Dec 29, 2011.

1. irony

irony Newbie

Got a gnex for Christmas, was pretty excited. Hooked it up and test drove it for the day. Had aweful data signal everywhere I went. In nyc a place where my thunderbolt would get 15k speeds. Dropped a few calls , a few went to voice mail. With 1x 3g 4g spam.

Tried to show the new shiny present off to a few friends only to be embarrassed with , " no connection please turn on WiFi".... After a solid 4 hours of fiddling with the gnex it was 10% battery and hot to the touch.

So I gave it another day. Nothing changed. Weak to no signal bad battery life and it was warm all day.

So I ask myself what's all the hype about ? The phone was basically a flop for me. That's saying alot considering I've been on a thunderbolt since it released.

Lastly the camra indoors was bad. Really bad.

So now I returned it for the rezound and you guessed it. The rezound blows out the gnex by a far margin. Ics aside there isn't an area where the gnex seemed better. In the same area I am getting 25k speeds where my gnex could barley hold a connection.

Not to mention the rezound camra is pretty amazing indoors and outside.

Lastly this was xmas day and the day after while Verizon 4g was stable.

not2gutta, jkc120 and BlueBiker like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

If the Rezound was half as thick, didn't have that laggy Sense UI, an LCD screen, and didn't look like an Incredible 2 on Steroids I would have kept it....lol

However with the Nexus...Yes it has its quirks...but I think after it gets an update it'll be the best Android phone available today.

3. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

agreed

redhillblood likes this.
  4. jcash3

jcash3 Android Enthusiast

I haven't had any of those problems... been a great phone so far. Could be a factor of only 3g coverage in my area. I have gotten over a day of battery life with light usage. With heavy I get about 10-14

Sandroidfan likes this.
  5. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

I get 4G everywhere, even in my office where I know I get a bad signal.

I've definitely had phones with better cameras, but the other day while I was toying with the camera, I took a picture at night in a room with no light and no TV. The pic looks like I took it during the day.

It's good that you found the phone for you, but coming here saying it blows the nexus away is just asking for a keyboard riot.

6. finn5975

finn5975 Well-Known Member

I would think at a minimum the camera, signal, volume, and data drops would need fixed. I tried volume+ for the speaker volume and while it did indeed make it louder, it also distorted it. Signal and data drops go hand in hand. From the sounds of it, the fix from Verizon is only going to affect the number of bars displayed from an accuracy standpoint but not actually fix the radio. I don't quite understand how software fixes will address several of what could be hardware issues.

irony likes this.
  7. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

The Charge using the similar 4G chip got significant improvement in data connectivity and speed with the latest GB update. Software can control power on radio, adjust dBm, threshold for dropping to 3G, 1x, etc.

Premium1 and finn5975 like this.
  8. Travisimo

Travisimo Android Enthusiast

The phone shouldn't be getting hot. In most areas, mine hovers between 1-2 bars of 4G connectivity but never gets hot or even warm. In fact, my Gnex doesn't even get hot when I'm using the Mobile Hotspot. My Bionic, on the other hand, felt like an oven when running the hotspot and seemed to drain battery faster as well during its use.

I have had some connectivity issues, mainly times when the phone has a hard time switching between 4G/3G. However, I'm on Verizon and I think some of my issues have been due to the 4G network trouble they've been having. I absolutely love the phone in every other way, so there's no way I'm returning mine.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  9. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

Hot, eh? Doesn't sound right. Or our hands are calibrated differently. My Droid would reach almost blistering temperatures when I streamed music, charged the battery, and used navigation simultaneously (screen on). My SGN only gets warm under these conditions.

Enjoy the Rezound, though. It appears to be a good phone.

10. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

congrats on your downgrade! :eek:

11. truelove79

truelove79 Android Enthusiast

No signal issues here. And extended battery is great. Though I do agree camera is truly awful. Like really awful.

12. irony

irony Newbie

How is having a camra that takes crystal clear pictures a downgrade ?

How is a phone that works perfect right out of the box without a magic patch months away a downgrade?

How is going from having connection drops to 25k down 7k up avg a downgrade ?

Lastly i understand this is a nexus forum so the fanboi's will come out and defend anything someone says about thier precious phone. I just figured i would share my experiance for the people like me who just wants a high end phone that performs the way it should.

jroc likes this.
  13. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

something laggy with an older operating system and a camera that's no better (IMO) would equate to a downgrade ;)

14. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

Can't do anything about that but for me it feels much more natural in my hand.

Easily remedied. Boot loader unlocked and rooted and smooooth as silk!

I prefer the LCD screen, thanks ;) No nasty artifacts for me!

I'm super happy with my rezound. Amazing radio, great screen and very smooth.

jroc and irony like this.
  15. fillyo

fillyo Member

I actually liked my Thunderbolt alot and have liked HTC in general, the Nexus is my first non-HTC phone. There initially was some disappoinment, and I returned one due to signal and battery life. No doubt about it, the radio is not as good. However, running Axiom, I am getting 15-18 hours on the same usage that got me 6-10 hours on the TB. I love the screen and overall thinness. The rezound would have been my second choice, but I needed a change. I was on the fence of potentially returning until installing Axiom, now I know better is ahead with additional updates, which will come much timelier than anything from HTC. Also, reception has been much better lately, so I have done a complete 180 on the Nexus.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  16. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

Glad you found a phone that suits you irony. Would be an awfully boring world if we were all supposed to think that the best phone for us should be the best phone for everyone. You shouldn't be "sadly" but happy you found a better phone for you! Enjoy your Rezound I think it is a solid phone ;)

irony likes this.
  17. pragmatous

pragmatous Android Enthusiast

the rezound was my first choice until I saw the galaxy nexus with 32GB. If it was 16 I wouldn't have bothered.

I'm going to the verizon store tomorrow to have them take a look at this banding issue i have on the nexus. I already had someone else look at it and he noticed the banding almost right away. I may look at the rezound again while at the store.

I didn't like the rezound tho because it looks like a brick and I liked the thinness/lightness of the nexus. Not to mention HTC phones have horrible battery life. I know from experience coming from a droid inc.

Some people like the weight tho and the rezound looks like a solid phone. I wouldn't knock the rezound. if he dropped the nexus for an iPhone then we'd have to battle in the octagon! :p

I was also looking at the droid 4 but its not out yet so oh well.

18. jbdan

jbdan Extreme Android User

By any chance is this your 1st AMOLED screened phone? Where do you see the banding in your wallpapers?

The Droid 4 looks promising for those that want the physical qwerty (I love typing that out qwerty!)

19. Foolish Mortal

Foolish Mortal Well-Known Member

The camera doesn't mean all that much to me. Like on any phone that I've owned, it's my camera when I didn't expect to need a camera. If I need a camera, well, I bring a camera. No banding that I can see. If it's there, and I can't see it, then I don't get irritated. I use no stock ringtones, so if there's a volume issue, then I don't notice it. I've had none of the signal issues. Yes, the signal strength shows lower than my DX, but I've never had an issue with call quality, nor have I had anything other than a fat data pipe when I needed it.

Of course, I don't live in New York anymore, thank goodness, so I can't speak of the quality of service there.

Everything else that may be a little irritating to me will be fixed, either by Google or by our hard-working dev community.

The Rezound is a great phone, especially now that HTC has given its owners a way to unlock it's true potential with a minimum of hassle. So, I'm glad that you're getting what you need out of your Rezound.

irony likes this.
  20. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Please keep responses respectful and on-topic. That mean discussion of issues with handsets other than the GNexus is off-topic. Please take those to the appropriate section.

irony likes this.
  21. rawness

rawness Android Enthusiast

I always find post like these to be disingenuous.

People who claim they've been anxiously waiting for the phone and then after getting it and finding issues like poor reception, poor battery, and a phone that's running hot and then getting rid of it after two days. Those sound like defective phone problems, so you'd think someone who was truly gushing over this phone for 2 months before it was released would swap it out for another Galaxy Nexus.

It's likely that the camera on the Nexus just doesn't meet your standards, but if the rest of the phone is defective, who knows?

jkc120, Sandroidfan and Premium1 like this.
  22. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member

I never understood threads like these. It seems like backhanded trolling to me. Informing a bunch of enthusiasts you didn't like their product? Why?

Shouldn't you be on the Rezound forum saying how great the product is instead of telling us all that we own a piece of junk?

daddyd302, TheRoosevelt and Premium1 like this.
  23. irony

irony Newbie

I'm going to have to set this straight, my post was 100% sincere on my experience with the phone I wanted pretty badly. I have a 90 min (each way) train commute into NYC every day. I spend a LOT of time on my phone passing time. So it really has to perform for me to be happy.

Did i consider swapping it out for another ? no I didn't, why you ask ? the answer is simple I have researched all of my issues and they come up as pretty common issues (Bad signal for data&voice) across the board. With the same answer being "once that next patch comes out this phone with rock!". This was a bitter pill for me to swallow as my thunderbolt was getting solid 3g/4g signals and good handoffs each and every day to meet my needs.

Not to mention that 50% of the pictures I took on xmas day I deleted for being downright bad and out of focus.

My intention is not to bad mouth the phone in any way, just to share my experience with others. To say im being disingenuous with what i have to say is being ignorant to the current real issues that are being presented by a lot more people then just me.

24. irony

irony Newbie

That's simply how you are perceiving it. I was just sharing my experience. So pointing out known flaws in a phone I took back (with good reasons) equates to trolling ? Buying a different phone means I shouldn't read these boards after following it for over a 2 months ?

Shame really.

pcriz, spb21, jkc120 and 3 others like this.
  25. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Congrats on your new phone, and I'm glad that it's working for you! People share their experiences, and I'm glad that you shared yours here. I see the irony all the time here, and on other forums. If someone doesn't like what your opinion is, they become very vehement.

Thanks for sharing, most people wouldn't make a post like this! I think that rebuttals to some of things you didn't like have been discussed to death in the forums already, so really no need to go there again! :D:D

kl68, jbdan and irony like this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews